Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you replace the battery....

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 16 Replies
Your car battery, that is! ;)

We just got a new one two years ago. And not the cheapest of the cheap. A mid-range one. When I got the oil changed today, they had a slip in the truck saying that the battery isn't up to snuff. It apparently wasn't bad enough for them to try to push me into buying a new one, but it didn't pass some test. But the damn thing is only two years old! So how long do yours usually last?
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM
I got 7 years out of my last one.
Beth3721
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Where you live can play a part in the lifespan.  Does it have a warranty on it?

Mama_4Babies
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Our battery is over 5 or 6 years old:/
We actually have to get a new one very soon.
emandab
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM

If you haven't killed the battery by leaving lights on multiple times then your battery should be fine.  You'll know come winter if it needs replaced if it begins to have issues starting.  

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:18 PM
South Louisiana. Not sure on the warranty, SO is working on tracking down the paperwork.

Quoting Beth3721:

Where you live can play a part in the lifespan.  Does it have a warranty on it?

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:19 PM
No issues with lights. They're automatic THANK GOODNESS. Because my ditzy ass would end up leaving the lights on, I'm sure. Lol

Quoting emandab:

If you haven't killed the battery by leaving lights on multiple times then your battery should be fine.  You'll know come winter if it needs replaced if it begins to have issues starting.  

PeppermintyTea
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM
I have an electric car, and the battery is under warranty, but obviously it's not a regular battery so I have no idea when it will need servicing again since I just bought it a few months ago... Before this car I've only ever had to replace one car battery, and it was the factory one 3 years old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:21 PM
If you leave phone chargers plugged in that can drain the battery too.
emandab
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Yeah I'm an expert at jumping a car for this reason lol.  I had a battery that just couldn't take it anymore because of the number of times I left my lights on.  In my defense it was because I had an hour drive to work and when I left for work it was dark but by the time I arrived at work the sun was well up.  So it didn't always click in my head to turn them off.  Oh and I grew up in a town with a population of 400 so I had a very bad habit of leaving my keys in the ignition lol.

Quoting AA2.0: No issues with lights. They're automatic THANK GOODNESS. Because my ditzy ass would end up leaving the lights on, I'm sure. Lol
Quoting emandab:

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM
They may be lying. I was told my battery was bad. Our mechanic friend took it to his shop, tested it, and it's absolutely fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)