Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegetarianism - could this be hereditary?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Stupid question and sorry if it is but I'm really curious. DH and I were talking tonight about his sister and BIL and how they raise their own cows for meat. Their oldest is almost 10 and asked them if they were going to kill the cow to eat and SIL said that they were going to trade the cow in for meat (to keep from horrifying her).

I have an aunt who I've never been very close with who is a vegetarian. She used to eat meat but was super picky about it and after visiting my other aunt in Sweden one year, she unknowingly ate horse meat and has been a vegetarian ever since.

I am super picky about meat myself. It has to be cooked a certain way, I trim all the fat, don't handle raw meat very well, and don't want to know the details of what I'm eating. If I saw it as a live animal there's no way I could eat it and if I saw what really goes on, I'd swear off meat all together.

My oldest is the same way. Prefers fruits and veggies over meat and doesn't want to know the grisly details. I don't project my opinions on our children, it's an unspoken thing between DH and I. He knows how picky I am so we just go about our business. Your youngest loves meat like DH and isn't phased by any of it.

Could this aversion somehow be hereditary?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM
B
Anonymous
U
Anonymous
M
Anonymous
P
Anonymous
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Bump
smvrn20
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Tastes can be hereditary, but choosing to be vegetarian is just that, a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeppermintyTea
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM
I hae no idea. I haven't eaten meat in 5 years, but everyone else in my family does. I've never really been big on eat it even as a child. My daughter likes some meat, but not most.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM
I just googled it and actually, there is a sensitivity to meat smells. Apparently it takes two genes to create that sensitivity. Very interesting.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/is-being-a-vegetarian-a-genetic-condition

Quoting smvrn20: Tastes can be hereditary, but choosing to be vegetarian is just that, a choice.
smvrn20
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM
That is not vegetarianism. Again, being a vegetarian is a choice. Some things, taste, smell, are hereditary. That doesn't mean someone is going to be a vegetarian. I can't stand the smell of fish, but I love the taste. I can't handle the smell of certain vegetables, but I still eat them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I just googled it and actually, there is a sensitivity to meat smells. Apparently it takes two genes to create that sensitivity. Very interesting.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/is-being-a-vegetarian-a-genetic-condition

Quoting smvrn20: Tastes can be hereditary, but choosing to be vegetarian is just that, a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)