Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I horrible mommy of the year?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I am done with the bedroom battle. My (almost 6-year-old) daughter is told she has to clean her room and she enlists her friend to do it (her friend helped make the mess). My daughter didn't help at all. So now she has to clean it by herself. But all she does is either sit and cry or play.

So I told her tonight that she either cleans as much as she can tonight or I will clean it tomorrow and she will missing a lot of stuff when she gets home from school tomorrow.

Now, I don't plan on giving away anything I know she'll truly miss, but she hates the idea of actually losing anything. Groundings don't work with her, or even a sticker chart.

Am I the worst mommy ever, or does she just need to learn the hard way?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Taking it away and letting her earn it back would probably work better this time. Then move to getting rid of it if the problem continues.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Why won't she clean her room?

You should have followed through a long time ago. 

caralicious
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Tell her to clean it one more time and when she refuses get a big garbage bag. Kids move fast when they see their stuff being thrown away in front of them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

do you break it down for her or just tell her to do it? I break it down for my kids and its so much easier for them to get it done because otherwise its just too overwhelming for them. 

2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I used to do that with my girls I would bag everything up in trash bags and they could earn it back. If she has an abundance of toys then maybe downsizing is a good idea. When I was younger I would pay my friends to clean my room because I hated doing it.
firemouse23
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to learn the hard way.  Put all of her prized possessions in the closet...have her earn them back...1 a week...by keeping her room clean.  Let her know that if she chooses to not clean her room or earn them back you will be taking her to donate them to a shelter to other kids that need them.

Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Sounds like follow through was needed long ago. So take her stuff away and make her earn it back.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM
I throw away things that are not put away.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM

So you are cleaning it for her and not giving away anything that she would really actually care about... where is the lesson? I would just keep it simple, I tell my kids to cut the crying, no more playtime, they have two options. They can either be actively cleaning or they can stand in the corner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally am of the mind that as long as there is no actual filth present (old food, etc.) a person should be allowed to keep their space in whatever state they prefer, be it neat or messy.

That being said, I don't think you're doing a horrible thing. My mom did that to me growing up and I didn't need therapy because of it or anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)