Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids totally freak out when I buy alcohol.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM
  • 23 Replies

Let me start this off by saying that I buy a six pack of beer MAYBE once a month.  And that six pack will last me most of the month.  I don't drink often, maybe a beer after a difficult day.  I don't drink a lot, but I figure that I'm 31 and have the right to have one if I want one.

That being said, my boys will totally trip out when they either see me buy it or see it in the fridge.  Their father and step mother have made them think that if anyone drinks, they're alcoholics and sick.  I have 50/50 custody of my kids and live by myself with them.  I actually quite prefer it that way.  I've tried relationships, but always felt like the men I was seeing wanted more of my time than I was willing to give, because in my mind, that meant less time spent with my boys.  I don't understand how I can get my boys to see that having a beer every so often isn't a bad thing.  I've told them that adults drink and yes, sometimes they do it to excess, but most can do it responsibly.  My mother was an alcoholic and drank morning to passing out at night from when I was 2 until I was 10.  I don't want my kids to ever have to deal with that.  However, I feel that I can keep things under control quite well.  As I said, a six pack lasts me most of the month.  Sometimes, I will get totally sh*t faced, but that happens maybe once or twice a year and only when my kids are gone.  I don't like being out of control in any way when my kids are with me.

Has anyone else come across this?  How to I help them see that it's ok for me to have alcohol in the house?  For those of you wondering, their father and step mother are very strict LDS and I'm really not.  I do not condemn their religion and actually take my children to Sunday Sacrament the Sundays they're with me to encourage them to do what they find enjoyable.  My children like to go to church and I'm supportive of that.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy-author31
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:09 PM

BUMP!

my2kids0506
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Yes my dd has actually taken wine coolers out of my buggy and put them back. I have told her all her life how bad it is and she should never feel pressured into drinking so now she does not want us to drink at all.
Keara20
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM
A beer sounds so good right now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM
How old are your kids?
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Well as their mother you remind them that you are over 21 and it is not illegal and it takes a lot more than a six pack a month for alcohol to be a problem, also remind them that as CHILDREN it is not their place to say anything to you about it.

mommy-author31
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM

My favorite is that Angry Orchard crisp apple.  I'm on my 3rd tonight, but my kids are gone and I am in soooo much pain right now.  I had a procedure done yesterday and then, like an idiot, I pushed myself into going to the store today.  Not a good idea.  I figure I'll have a couple now, then after when I've had time to get things out of my system, I'll take my pain meds and go to sleep.  lol

Quoting Keara20: A beer sounds so good right now.

mommy-author31
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM

11 and 9

Quoting Anonymous 1: How old are your kids?

SommelierMom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Your kids should never come to my house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Mine are like that but they have an alcoholic dad and I rarely drink so when I do have an occasional it freaks them out .
MysticRainbow
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Thank your children for their concern and then tell them that it isn't their place to tell you anything about you buying beer and drinking.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)