Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you send your child to school tomorrow?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

This is so sad. This happened in my state.

A first grader went to the hospital over the weekend with a sever respiratory illness. Today he died.

I don't think I would send my child back to school until I know just what the child illness was. 

Thoughts?

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-west-valley/peoria/first-grader-at-vistancia-elementary-battling-serious-respiratory-condition

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I have a compromised immune system, so it would be too great a risk.
mrsmoonbeam
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes if it wasnt fall break. this could have been a number of things flu any number of viruses. Ther is no way to know where he got it from. you cant keep your kids home everytime someone else gets sick. You have to teach them to wash their hands and basic hygene like that. make sure they are up to date on their shots. and make sure to keep them home if they are running a fever. ect. You CANT protect kids from every possable illness. they will get sick its part of building up a healthy immune system.
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

We're in the same state, OP.

If my children were younger and attended THIS particular school, I'd have my reservations,

However, there's no definitive proof this was Enterovirus 68 yet, and they are sending information to the CDC about the boy's illness.

butterflycircle
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes only because the school is the kitchen table (and the rest of the house lol) seeing that we home school lol

In all seriousness though the stuff going around makes me nervous. Here there was a 21 month old girl that caught this virus and was hospitalized and then died within about a week i think. my baby is 19 months old and I cannot imagine :( 

over40bride
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:26 AM
That's what would have me worried though.
That we just don't know what this child was sick with yet. and dead within a few days? Those combined would make me real nervous.

Quoting PPCLC:

We're in the same state, OP.

If my children were younger and attended THIS particular school, I'd have my reservations,

However, there's no definitive proof this was Enterovirus 68 yet, and they are sending information to the CDC about the boy's illness.

over40bride
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM
I totally agree with what you're saying.
It's just that we don't know yet what this child's illness was. That and the fact that he died just a few days later would make me very nervous.

Quoting mrsmoonbeam: Yes if it wasnt fall break. this could have been a number of things flu any number of viruses. Ther is no way to know where he got it from. you cant keep your kids home everytime someone else gets sick. You have to teach them to wash their hands and basic hygene like that. make sure they are up to date on their shots. and make sure to keep them home if they are running a fever. ect. You CANT protect kids from every possable illness. they will get sick its part of building up a healthy immune system.
abera
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
If dd was school aged this happen at her school she would be staying home!!!! She has a weak immune system so i wouldnt send her !
csxt99
by Jennifer on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would send them to school. No matter what the child who died had, if it's contagious then your child has most likely already been exposed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)