Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have any rights as a renter? At all?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
A little background info..We have been renting our house for 2 years as of the end of this month and had already discussed renewing for a 3rd year. But, when we paid our rent on the 1st the landlord dropped a bomb on us and told us they have decided not to renew the lease because they are planning to renovate the house and sell it. It was a bit of a shock and now we are searching for a new house to rent in our school district that is affordable.

Having to move isn't what I'm having an issue with (although it's frustrating on such short notice). The problem is that ever since she told us that, they have been dropping by and sending different companies over here unexpectedly. Not even a heads up to see if we are busy or even home. A company showed up last Friday to measure windows and start the process of having them replaced. I was in the middle of an online exam for school that is time limited and I had to pull myself away from it so that these people could go through every room in the house. By the time I got back to the computer I didn't have enough time to answer the rest of the questions and I ended up making a 55 on it. I was pissed. I am now without a washer and dryer and can't walk through the laundry room to get into the garage because they have decided to knock out a wall in there and move the connections into the garage instead. My son and I are both sick with strep throat and there are guys in and out of the house all day long. I've already warned them we are sick, they don't seem to mind!!

I know this isn't OUR house, but we are paying tenants and working as quickly as we can to find a new place to move to by the end of the month. I feel that they could give us a chance to clear out of here before starting all of this, or atleast give us a phone call to let us know that people are going to be showing up that particular day to do this or that.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, you have rights. Simply don't let them in. If you're home, put the chain lock on the doors and don't answer. Usually a landlord has to give you 24 hrs notice and then has the right to go inside.  It may vary state to state, but that's usually the standard practice.

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM
You do have rights. This is unacceptable. The renovations shouldn't start until you move. Until you're late in the rent or move, you can deny access to your house. I would. If you're busy and someone comes to do renovations, ignore them.
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM
They need to give you 24 hour notice before entering. I would not let anyone enter if you do not expect them. As far as the renovation while you are there, I am not sure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Depends on your lease terms. Most leases do state that they can do this within the last thirty days. However most lease also state that the lanlords need to give you 24 hours notice.

Maybe you could call your lanlords and ask them to please give you notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

They are supposed to give you 24 hours notice.  You are also supposed to get 30 days notice if they are not renewing your lease.  And the fact that they unhooked your washer & dryer might be an issue.  IDK who you call, in VT there is a landlord/tenant agency that can advise you of your rights and help you pursue legal action if necessary.  Look into that in your state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

What theyre doing is completely illegal. You have rights to deny them entrance.

Jennifer_236
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM
In cali they have to let you know 24 hr notice
PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Check with your local landlord/tenant laws, OP.

You've been given a heads up on the landlord's plans, which including selling the home. She may have a leg up when it comes to the laws, and her intentions being made verbally to you so definitely look this up for sure.

I would simply talk with her and ask if these things can be scheduled to accommodate your schedule, too. 

gradysmom2006
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM
It's illegal in my state.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM
They shouldnt be allowed to do start working on the house till you are moved out. Dont let them in
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)