Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Test ALL kids for ADD, ADHD and dyslexia.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My dd is in first grade and brought home a form stating that they want all kids in grades k to 3rd be tested for any learning or behavior disorders. They wil be doing this at the school by "qualified" professionals.

The form had an area to sign if you didn't want your child tested. I definitely opted out of this! Anyone else think this is nuts?

I'll find the website where a law was passed that explains it a little better.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=80944
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM
How do they test, exactly?
Its good to get help to the children who need it. And obviously, its not mandatory. So, no big deal.
TableFor8
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Nope, no, no way. My child will mot be tested and labeled people who want to medicate kids just to have zombies in their class for an easy paycheck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Not a chance in hell I would let that happen.
loveyourenemy
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I think all kids should be evaluated because they can get the help they need if they have it. My sons school has occupational therapy for all students so he doesn't need an IEP anymore. I think it's a great idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I am a school professional.  This does not even begin to sound like sound practice to me.  Furthermore, there is no definitive method for determining ADD/ADHD, they are based upon teacher/parent report.  

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I wouldn't do it. I think a lot of people are to quick to put kids in  those categories. Any kid who cant sit still for a long period of time, has a fit sometimes or cant pay attention for very long has some sort of disorder these days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM
3JuJu3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:54 AM

That's not how it works. A vast majority of the time, when kids get tested they qualify for extra services. It actually puts more financial strain on the school, and work strain on the teachers. A doctor has to be the one who can prescribe any drugs, not the school psychologist or whatever other qualified professional (they don't have medical doctors come in to do the testing).

Quoting TableFor8: Nope, no, no way. My child will mot be tested and labeled people who want to medicate kids just to have zombies in their class for an easy paycheck.

The.Last.Rebel
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Except the school has no say in medicating or not, and simply put, the earlier these issues are caught, the better the child's education.

Quoting TableFor8: Nope, no, no way. My child will mot be tested and labeled people who want to medicate kids just to have zombies in their class for an easy paycheck.
The.Last.Rebel
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Actually there is, it's performed by a psychiatrist.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I am a school professional.  This does not even begin to sound like sound practice to me.  Furthermore, there is no definitive method for determining ADD/ADHD, they are based upon teacher/parent report.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)