Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Common misconceptions

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Add your own!

-crime rates are not going up, they are going down. The reason people believe they are going up is because the media will sensationalize certain crimes and say "they are on the rise". This causes us to believe that because we see it more, it must happen more. This is called assimilation bias.

-teen pregnancies are up, see above ^^^

-vaccines cause autism. I shouldn't even have to add this one. This theory came from ONE study with 12 participants and was proven to have falsified data. May I say more?

-marijuana kills brain cells. No, this belief came from a study done in the 70s on rheasus monkeys. They hooked the monkeys up with a mask and gave them constant streams of marijuana smoke. The brain scans did show a loss in brain cells. However, this was because the smoke cause a cut off of oxygen to the brain. Smoking anything is bad, not the marijuana itself.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Deaf children have to use sign language or read lips. Deaf children CAN AND DO hear and speak!!

Gypsy.Scribe
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM

blood is blue until it hits oxygen. no, blue is always red, sometimes really dark almost purply red, but never blue

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Sperm dies when it hits the air- no it doesn't. Just no lol.

Also many people believe you can't get pregnant from anal sex. While yes the sperm can't go up your butt and get you pregnant , it can dribble out and go into your vagina. Harder to get pregnant, but possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Dogs mouths are sanitary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Deaf or hard of hearing?

Just clarifying.

I do know children born Deaf can have their brain come up with some cool ways of "hearing" in other ways. There are also implants though I've heard mixed reviews.

Quoting faire_jour:

Deaf children have to use sign language or read lips. Deaf children CAN AND DO hear and speak!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Humans have only 5 senses- although the exact amount is debated we have somewhere between 9-15.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Precum can get you pregnant. Uhhh, no. Unless the guy has ejaculated and hasn't gone to pee. Cowpers secretions don't have sperm in it...except in rare circumstances as listed above.
faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

There are no "mixed reviews" of cochlear implants. Children implanted young will be able to hear and understand spoken language within the normal range. They can hear and discriminate between all the sounds in English.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Deaf or hard of hearing? Just clarifying. I do know children born Deaf can have their brain come up with some cool ways of "hearing" in other ways. There are also implants though I've heard mixed reviews.
Quoting faire_jour:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM
That your tongue has different zones for different sensations ie sweet and sour.
All areas of the tongue taste all flavors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Not mix reviews on whether they work, mixed reviews on how people like them.

I did some work in The Deaf community, and many were very very against them. Outside The Deaf community people who happened to be Deaf were much more open to them.

Quoting faire_jour:

There are no "mixed reviews" of cochlear implants. Children implanted young will be able to hear and understand spoken language within the normal range. They can hear and discriminate between all the sounds in English.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Deaf or hard of hearing?

Just clarifying.

I do know children born Deaf can have their brain come up with some cool ways of "hearing" in other ways. There are also implants though I've heard mixed reviews.

Quoting faire_jour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)