Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This makes me a b**** (Christmas related)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm not trying to be ungrateful- I recognize I am lucky to have this problem, but I'm frustrated! 

On Friday my mom asked my 4 year old what he wanted for Christmas.  He told her.  Then, on Saturday my mother-in-law did the same thing, got the same answer.

On Sunday, my mom called and said I saw this item in the paper, do you think he would like that one? Then yesterday MIL texted me and said hey I found this toy, and what about this one for the 2 year old? 

First of all- can we say it's freaking October??? Why are we fretting over Christmas gifts now??

Second, seriously, how do I balance both grandmothers who want to buy this gift?

Finally, does it ever occur to them- if this is the gift that DS wants most, perhaps his parents would like to be the ones who give it to him??? This is pretty typical- last year my MIL bought the gift DS was dying for in July without talking to us at all, she just called and said I got it, which left us scrambling to figure out what we would buy him for Christmas! I know we are very lucky to have people who want to spoiil our kids, but man it makes me really frustrated!

Can anyone else relate?  

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy_M
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM

We give each grandparent a different list when they ask for one.  My MIL already got her list last week!  She wants to be done shopping before thanksgiving every year

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a good idea- now I just need to say wait for the list!! : )

Quoting Amy_M:

We give each grandparent a different list when they ask for one.  My MIL already got her list last week!  She wants to be done shopping before thanksgiving every year

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
How about opening your mouth and telling them? Problem solved.
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
How sweet your DS has two loving grandmothers :)

It's great they asked. If you want to get it gor him tell them you already did. I think its fine they're thinking about it now, maybe suggest alternatives since they checked with you.
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM
4 moms liked this
You have to say something. Like, hey I know he said he wanted it, but dh and I are getting that. He would also like this or that.

They can't read minds. Speak up.
ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM
My son usually has a few things he wants. I "assign" them to people so everyone can buy the "cool" present.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I will with my mom, she'll be fine with it. DH is always like, well don't say anything to my mom, I don't want to hurt her feelings. They have a really weird relationship! 

Quoting Anonymous 2: How about opening your mouth and telling them? Problem solved.

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Why wait till the last minute, then bitch at the retail workers that we dont have the toys you want. Well duh dumbass you waited till right before Christmas.

Ok now that vent is over, oh not directed at you op. Just a psa Lol

why not call and have them pick something else
anon55
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not care at all if the grandparents wanted to buy every single gift for my kids, not even a little. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
First world problems
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)