Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms who have pet rats i need your opinion

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

is it normal for sibling rats to fight constantly? my dd has a male and female from our neighbors newest litter and every night i hear them fighting and the girl keeps squeaking. i dont want to give the male back before i know if its normal but my dd is nervous about her rats,and she keeps saying the boy sits in the corner and looks like he's going to attack her when she opens the cage. so could it be playing or are they hurting each other?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
iwasbillpardy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM
The male and female should be separated, or you'll get babies. And yes, they do play and it looks like wrestling and pouncing around.
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Its really not a good idea to keep male/ female pairs in the same cage. Unless of course you want 37 rats in less than 6 months. But to answer your question, they will fight if one is dominant and they're not well matched. Rat's personalities are much like humans. Sometimes they just don't get along.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM
He's neutered

Quoting iwasbillpardy: The male and female should be separated, or you'll get babies. And yes, they do play and it looks like wrestling and pouncing around.
iwasbillpardy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM
http://youtu.be/j5oZYOBOppQ

The squeaking you hear is equivalent to a human laugh. It also happens when you tickle them.
iwasbillpardy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, excellent!

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's neutered

Quoting iwasbillpardy: The male and female should be separated, or you'll get babies. And yes, they do play and it looks like wrestling and pouncing around.
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Yep. Supervised play time but no caging together.

lalaballet
by Wrapper on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:17 PM
They're fine.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's neutered

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM

it just freaks dd out since our neighbor said his male rat ripped the throat out of his cage mate before,shes afraid he's going to kill his sister

Quoting iwasbillpardy: http://youtu.be/j5oZYOBOppQ The squeaking you hear is equivalent to a human laugh. It also happens when you tickle them.

iwasbillpardy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Mobile Photo

I've had some bad luck too. I used to get rats in pairs, but I always walked in on one eating the other. Granted, the one probably died and THEN was eaten, but I only get singles now. It's an excuse to spend more time with them anyway. Here's my little guy, Atlas, just this morning.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

it just freaks dd out since our neighbor said his male rat ripped the throat out of his cage mate before,shes afraid he's going to kill his sister

Quoting iwasbillpardy: http://youtu.be/j5oZYOBOppQ

The squeaking you hear is equivalent to a human laugh. It also happens when you tickle them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)