Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o Christmas How do you divide up...

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

How do you divide up Christmas lists to send to your families? Because not having a list is causing us to become hoarders (not really, but when we throw things out, family gets mad).

I have 1 son. 

He has us (mommy and daddy).

Then he has 2 sets of grandparents.

Then he has 4 sets of great grandparents.

Then he has an Aunt and Uncle.

That's 9 families buying 1-3 items for DS for Christmas (plus his birthday is in March and that's just a few months after x~mas, so more toys).  That's around 27 gifts give or take (can you imagine your one child getting 54 gifts in a 3 month time period?)

I've asked them before for fun things around town, like museum membership... But, MIL still buys BIG items, like a race car that my kid can sit in and drive around town (and she bought him a police car he can ride in 2 Christmases ago, too).

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AvantGardener
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump. We don't do lists. If a family member asks me for an idea I tell them what to buy.

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I just edited my post to show how many gifts my son actually gets:

That's around 27 gifts give or take (can you imagine your one child getting 54 gifts in a 3 month time period?)

Quoting AvantGardener:

Here's a bump. We don't do lists. If a family member asks me for an idea I tell them what to buy.

BlessedBounty
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:11 PM
We don't do that. Grandparents usually send cash or a gift card. Honestly, I think the list is tacky.... but who am I to judge? This is rhetorical.... no need to jump in.
AvantGardener
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

It's like that for us too. My kids have two sets of grandparents and my parents are separated so they buy separately. I have two sisters that buy for them, and a niece who buys for them. When someone asks me what to get them, I ask what they want to spend, and I give them one thing to buy. It helps, for us anyway.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

That's around 27 gifts give or take (can you imagine your one child getting 54 gifts in a 3 month time period?)

Quoting AvantGardener:

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Yeah I've never done a list. But isn't 50 some Thing gifts between 3 months absurd!?!?

Quoting BlessedBounty: We don't do that. Grandparents usually send cash or a gift card. Honestly, I think the list is tacky.... but who am I to judge? This is rhetorical.... no need to jump in.
Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Yeah i do exactly what you said but they still buy extra... Lol

Quoting AvantGardener:

It's like that for us too. My kids have two sets of grandparents and my parents are separated so they buy separately. I have two sisters that buy for them, and a niece who buys for them. When someone asks me what to get them, I ask what they want to spend, and I give them one thing to buy. It helps, for us anyway.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Quoting AvantGardener:

AvantGardener
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Do you do a purge of toys before Christmas? We always do a massive donation. 

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby: Yeah i do exactly what you said but they still buy extra... Lol
Quoting AvantGardener:

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Quoting AvantGardener:

aimkins18
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM
We make different lists for mil and my parents. That way he doesn't get repeat gifts.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:15 PM

We don't send out lists. They get what they get. 

BlessedBounty
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Yes...lol. I suggest just asking for gift cards. Then you control the chaos. Plus, you can use it as you need it,instead of one giant flood of toys...lol

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby: Yeah I've never done a list. But isn't 50 some Thing gifts between 3 months absurd!?!?

Quoting BlessedBounty: We don't do that. Grandparents usually send cash or a gift card. Honestly, I think the list is tacky.... but who am I to judge? This is rhetorical.... no need to jump in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)