Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

you're really mad about that????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
My mom called me for something earlier about this weekend. After we got done talking about that she started telling me about a program or something she's trying to use to help them buy a house. She said she had paperwork to turn in but they were required to volunteer 400 hours, she said they can get other people to help get to that 400.
Well she said we may need your dhs help, I thought she was talking about with something else (as we were also talking about her cleaning out the attic this week) so I asked with what. She said "oh getting to that 400 hours, if he works just one Saturday for 10 hours, that's 10 hours less we need to get to the 400" o.O uhm what???
I told her she could ask him but I don't think its likely, she asked why not. I said because he's currently working easily 14 hour days 5-6 days a week, weekends are really the kids only time with him and I doubt after working 70+ hour weeks he's going to want to go volunteer for 10 hours on a Saturday. Plus they're moving him somewhere else where hell be working even more.
She said well fine, it may not even happen immediately though. So I repeated that they're moving him and hell be at work MORE, she changed the subject and ended the call pretty quickly after and she sounded annoyed the rest of the time that we talked!
I'm sorry, but dh works a lot, weekends are his time to relax and spend time with our kids. I doubt hell agree to it and I already warned her idt he will, had she not gotten so annoyed/mad about it I may have offered to volunteer for a few hours with her to help out and spend time with them, I still may offer but I can't do a 10 hour day, maybe 10 over 2 days.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
WifeyandMom71
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I think its called Habitat for Humanities.  My friend did it also, they got help to pay for their house.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM
She's insane. A few hours? Maybe depending on someone's schedule but 10 hours?? She has lost her mind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I think that might be it, I'm not sure... She went immediately into the paperwork and volunteering information lol. I'm wondering if her other reason for calling was just an excuse to get me on the phone :/

Quoting WifeyandMom71:

I think its called Habitat for Humanities.  My friend did it also, they got help to pay for their house.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a volunteer gig.  She can ask all she wants.  People have the right to say no.  She shouldn't expect anyone to volunteer.  If she really wants the house, she'll find a way to make the 400 happen. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:00 PM
I could see maybe asking him 10 hours over a month or something, but a 10 hour day... There's like a .00001% chance of it happening... She knows how much he works and half the time has to work or gets called in on weekends :(

Quoting blsdbyangel07: She's insane. A few hours? Maybe depending on someone's schedule but 10 hours?? She has lost her mind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM
I don't mind her asking, its the fact she got annoyed/mad when I said I doubt dh would volunteer for 10 hours on a Saturday. She never once mentioned maybe me volunteering instead, just dh. She has Friday-sundays off work, my stepdad has at least one day off a week, and at times he's out of work for a week or two. I'm sure they can manage. But from what it sounds like to me is she's trying to get as many people as possibl to volunteer so they don't have to do a lot... Which sounds about right for them.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

It's a volunteer gig.  She can ask all she wants.  People have the right to say no.  She shouldn't expect anyone to volunteer.  If she really wants the house, she'll find a way to make the 400 happen. 

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Exactly!  Pretty presumptuous of her to just presume that anyone she knows would be chomping at the bit to give up their free time so she doen't have to do as much volunteer time.  She has no right to be angry when people decline.  If she's not willing to get out and do the work, she doesn't deserve the house.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:46 PM
I think home ownership is going to be a kick in the butt for her :/ she won't be able to pay late, have to pay repairs in full herself if they're not able to do it, etc. Right now she has the "fun" aspects of ownership and the ability to pay late (she's "renting" from my grandpa). Between her and my step dad I'm sure they can manage the 400

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Exactly!  Pretty presumptuous of her to just presume that anyone she knows would be chomping at the bit to give up their free time so she doen't have to do as much volunteer time.  She has no right to be angry when people decline.  If she's not willing to get out and do the work, she doesn't deserve the house.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)