Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nap/bedtime tips?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son refuses to go to sleep unless he is extremely tired, and by the point he is screaming & crying because he does not know what he wants. I kept a normal bedtime routine with him and it doesn't matter.

I should add that we just weaned 3 weeks ago so we are trying to figure out how to fall asleep without getting breastmilk. I give him a stuffed animal for comfort and lots of cuddles but it doesn't help.

Please give me tips. How do you get your children down?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM
The only tips I have are to try an earlier bedtime, no tv in the babies room, a sippy or bottle of water instead of milk to have while falling asleep
JordanCsMommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Also, before I weaned him he would nap around 11am, wake up around 12:30. Then go to sleep around 9pm and be up at about 7 am.

Now, he won't fall asleep until he can barely keep his eyes open. So nap is usually around 2pm, up at 4pm. Then asleep around 11:30pm/midnight and up at 6am. Its terrible.
JordanCsMommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM
I try putting him to bed at 8, he wont fall asleep until around 11:30. Also, we co-sleep. And I do give water but he doesn't really want it at night.

Quoting 2babymomma: The only tips I have are to try an earlier bedtime, no tv in the babies room, a sippy or bottle of water instead of milk to have while falling asleep
2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Do you lay with him when you put him down to bed? If you were nursing him to sleep recently he might just want you there. With my oldest we coslept until she was 1 but until she was 2 I had to stay in the room with her. First I had to lay in my bed and pretend to be asleep also them I gradually moved to sitting in bed or on the floor and eventually outside if her door and then I was able to leave the room. She still comes to my bed sometimes in the night. I never did cosleep with my youngest and she slept threw the night from 2 weeks on and had never once came to my rim in the middle of the night.

Quoting JordanCsMommy: I try putting him to bed at 8, he wont fall asleep until around 11:30. Also, we co-sleep. And I do give water but he doesn't really want it at night.

Quoting 2babymomma: The only tips I have are to try an earlier bedtime, no tv in the babies room, a sippy or bottle of water instead of milk to have while falling asleep
JordanCsMommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Yes I tell him "okay baby, its time to go to sleep", and we'll lay down in bed with his stuffed animal. I try singing/humming to him, and I've tried leaving a night light on cause I thought the dark scared him. He just doesnt know how to fall asleep without boob and idk what I can do to help him. Its very frustrating cause he'll just cry and cry because he is so tired.

Quoting 2babymomma: Do you lay with him when you put him down to bed? If you were nursing him to sleep recently he might just want you there. With my oldest we coslept until she was 1 but until she was 2 I had to stay in the room with her. First I had to lay in my bed and pretend to be asleep also them I gradually moved to sitting in bed or on the floor and eventually outside if her door and then I was able to leave the room. She still comes to my bed sometimes in the night. I never did cosleep with my youngest and she slept threw the night from 2 weeks on and had never once came to my rim in the middle of the night.

Quoting JordanCsMommy: I try putting him to bed at 8, he wont fall asleep until around 11:30. Also, we co-sleep. And I do give water but he doesn't really want it at night.

2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM
How old is he? I know it seems counter productive but you could try a 7:30 bedtime before he gets so overtired. Does he get a bath every night before bed? Have you tried the bedtime bath wash? Do you have any wind down routine before bed?

Quoting JordanCsMommy: Yes I tell him "okay baby, its time to go to sleep", and we'll lay down in bed with his stuffed animal. I try singing/humming to him, and I've tried leaving a night light on cause I thought the dark scared him. He just doesnt know how to fall asleep without boob and idk what I can do to help him. Its very frustrating cause he'll just cry and cry because he is so tired.

Quoting 2babymomma: Do you lay with him when you put him down to bed? If you were nursing him to sleep recently he might just want you there. With my oldest we coslept until she was 1 but until she was 2 I had to stay in the room with her. First I had to lay in my bed and pretend to be asleep also them I gradually moved to sitting in bed or on the floor and eventually outside if her door and then I was able to leave the room. She still comes to my bed sometimes in the night. I never did cosleep with my youngest and she slept threw the night from 2 weeks on and had never once came to my rim in the middle of the night.

Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:27 PM
I rocked my youngest and eventually we co slept and sometimes still do

We generally don't have an issue anymore. He use to be a terror and he could cry until the cows come home so cry it out wasn't an option.

We eventually had his bed in our room and now at two he mostly sleeps in his room.

They're only little once. Rock your baby to sleep. Mine hasn't developed any bad habits from the comfort I give him at bed time.
JordanCsMommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM
I try rocking him and he literally just screams the whole time. Right now he is on the couch, tossing and turning and screaming his head off. He wont let me touch him.

Quoting Amiehart62: I rocked my youngest and eventually we co slept and sometimes still do

We generally don't have an issue anymore. He use to be a terror and he could cry until the cows come home so cry it out wasn't an option.

We eventually had his bed in our room and now at two he mostly sleeps in his room.

They're only little once. Rock your baby to sleep. Mine hasn't developed any bad habits from the comfort I give him at bed time.
Amiehart62
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM
I'm sorry:( is there anything that comforts him during his waking hours if he has a fit? Maybe that item or whatever you use during those times that may work at bedtime?

My youngest is pretty pig headed and I know most moms will tell me I'm doing it wrong but when he can't be comforted I bring him into my bed and put his favorite movie on(the croods) and I rub his feet and head until he calms down and eventually falls asleep.

He is also a night owl.

Quoting JordanCsMommy: I try rocking him and he literally just screams the whole time. Right now he is on the couch, tossing and turning and screaming his head off. He wont let me touch him.

Quoting Amiehart62: I rocked my youngest and eventually we co slept and sometimes still do

JordanCsMommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Usually frozen or finding nemo help but they haven't been lately :( I am lost, I dont know what to do. I hate getting frustrated with him but he has been screaming for a couple hours before nap and bedtime every day.

Quoting Amiehart62: I'm sorry:( is there anything that comforts him during his waking hours if he has a fit? Maybe that item or whatever you use during those times that may work at bedtime?

My youngest is pretty pig headed and I know most moms will tell me I'm doing it wrong but when he can't be comforted I bring him into my bed and put his favorite movie on(the croods) and I rub his feet and head until he calms down and eventually falls asleep.

He is also a night owl.

Quoting JordanCsMommy: I try rocking him and he literally just screams the whole time. Right now he is on the couch, tossing and turning and screaming his head off. He wont let me touch him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)