Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

that Muslim woman

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 150 Replies
24 moms liked this

Thank you... to the many people out there who understand that just because I cover my hair when I go out, I'm no different than you :)

Thank you for NOT glaring, staring, whispering or frowning. For not speeding up your car when I cross the road. shouting or making rude comments. Thank you for not following me around the store as a "concerned citizen", peering at me over cereal boxes or diapers or stacks of clearance items... I was just there to buy my kid some socks, promise. Thank you for not being shocked by my Midwest-by-way-of-Texas accent or my being a proud US military BRAT! For not turning all round in your chairs at Panera, staring for the fourth (fifth?) time at me & my friend. Yes, two scarves instead of one! but don't be scared... we're just there for that egg souffle thing too :)

Thank YOU for saying hi, talking with me, laughing with me, exchanging smiles at school, on the street or Barnes & Noble. For making my coffee, taking an order, or ringing up my items without blinking an eye. For making small talk on the playground about preschool and tumbling, while our kids take turns on the slide. Thank you for looking in my eyes and not at my scarf! Yeah, I know, the leopard print one is particularly fetching.... but I'm still DOWN HERE buddy.

for the people sending hate vibes my way..... I hope eventually you open your minds. Until then, you should know most people are fine with what I wear, who I am, and the faith I choose. Most people dont feel like you and don't practice your brand of hate. And for that, all Muslim ladies out there are thankful.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2callmemom09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:05 PM
How sad :/ sorry people are so judgmental and ignorant:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM
6 moms liked this

You can thank those of your religion for creating the atmosphere of hate and fear that you have to endure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Well, I don't hate anyone unless they give me a reason.;) and I don't think some people mean to be rude but certain Muslims are scary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs I'd comment on your scarf just to ask you where you hot it. I don't cover my hair but it is never down unless I'm with dh
anonymoustwo
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM
7 moms liked this
I have to admit after 911 the media has tried to make us afraid of all Muslims. It sometimes works, but about a year ago while staying at a very nice hotel we were able to see a young Muslim couple celebrate their engagement. There were tons of people and it was very lavish. One women could see us ppeering over to see what was going on. She stopped what she was doing and asked if we had any questions. We did, and she sat for an hour answering all our questions. She talked to us about an hour. She didn't make us feel bad, she didn't condone the things we thought were true even though they were not. She explained what the religion was and what it wasn't. It was an eye opener and I wish more people would cross barriers like that. To answer questions about the real happenings not what the media shows.
anonymoustwo
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous 2: Well, I don't hate anyone unless they give me a reason.;) and I don't think some people mean to be rude but certain Muslims are scary.
So has every religion at one time or another.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM
I'm pretty sure my dd's doctor is Muslim and she is awesome. Sure, there are things I wonder, but only out of curiosity not hate or anything with malice. But I figure it's never really an appropriate time.

Luke yesterday at gymnastics. A Muslim, I'm assume, mother was there to get her daughter. Well, during gymnastics they wear leotards. How does that work? Is she raising her dd with an "American" lifestyle and if she is why does she not follow suit. Or if not, is a sport an exempt event from modesty?

But I don't ask. I don't want o be offensive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I agree.:)

Quoting anonymoustwo:
Quoting Anonymous 2: Well, I don't hate anyone unless they give me a reason.;) and I don't think some people mean to be rude but certain Muslims are scary.
So has every religion at one time or another.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Women don't cover their hair until after puberty

Quoting Anonymous 4: I'm pretty sure my dd's doctor is Muslim and she is awesome. Sure, there are things I wonder, but only out of curiosity not hate or anything with malice. But I figure it's never really an appropriate time.

Luke yesterday at gymnastics. A Muslim, I'm assume, mother was there to get her daughter. Well, during gymnastics they wear leotards. How does that work? Is she raising her dd with an "American" lifestyle and if she is why does she not follow suit. Or if not, is a sport an exempt event from modesty?

But I don't ask. I don't want o be offensive.
BlessedBounty
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Okay, army wife and military brat here.... I do not fear or judge any Muslims. No more than I fear or judge others. However, when I'm boarding a plane, or train, I admit I get that heebie jeebie feeling. I mean, your people made that feeling happen. It is not completely unreasonable to have these feelings. Just like if I'm driving in a bad neighborhood, dudes in saggy pants and bandanas give me that feeling. It's nit fair, but toots, life isn't fair.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)