Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My evil cat and my Baby...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
4 moms liked this
Fifteen years ago I sat cold and hunched around my cup of coffee, convinced what I was doing was a good thing. We were in front of a Lowe's hardware. The animals all sat in kennels with heaters blowing on them. The first real cold front of the season was blowing through and the temperature was dropping fast as the sky turned from blue to ominous dark grey and the telltale signs of winter started to flutter to the ground.

A pet fair, but before they were a thing. Before our little mountain town had a humane society. We, myself and a band of other ladies from the community, most about as old as the mountains that surrounded us themselves, spent our Saturdays with the dogs and cats from the pound giving them one last chance at survival. One of our charges that evening was a little spitfire ball of grey fur. A four month old kitten who growled at and tried to bite anything that walked past her. Eventually the boss lady instructed me to take her to the back, we all knew what that meant. There was no hope for her. Nobody wants a vicious cat. But it went with the territory. You couldn't save them all, something I'd come to accept a long time before. She was so small and so scared though...

I did something I knew I'd regret. I went to the car and dug under my seats, in the cup holders, dash; everywhere change hid and produced $7.23--a far cry from the $90 adoption fee we required but all I could afford as a starving student. And with a bit of haggling, some pleading, I had a unpleasant, permanent, house guest. The next few days were an adventure of the horror sort. Every time I walked past a certain closet, the one next to the bathroom door, a ball of fur would come flying out and attack me. On the fifth day, as I sat quietly in my living room contemplating the collosal size of the mistake Id made something happened, she crawled in my lap and went to sleep.

Fifteen years, a dog, a husband, and some babies later I've learned one thing about my furry little friend, she doesn't like anything, well... anything but me. She never did warm up to my husband. My 10 year old? Well, she stopped talking to me for 2 years after she happened. Then my 5 year old came. Our relationship tunrned into avoidance again until I was done breastfeeding him. She tolerates the children but will never learn to like them. They coexist, but even the kids have been trained to avoid her. They don't play with her, nor do they try to pet or cuddle her. Both bear permanent marks on their hands and feet from getting too playful. Badges reminding them that while some cats can be nice fur people, this one was a cranky old coot who couldn't be trusted to do anything but lash out.

When I got pregnant a third time something happened. She had always loved me, always spent her nights curled up on my chest or the fold in my legs, but she took an interst in something beyond me, beyond herself. She would lay close to my slowly growing stomach. She would play with my tummy as the kicks got stronger every day. Actually play! If never seen her play before! When he came home she didn't hide, didn't vanish, instead she stayed close. Spent her nights as close as I would allow. The first time he crawled? It was to her.

I used to think that she loved me because I saved her, but now I see she loved me because I would give her her best friend some day. She was born 15 years before him. Who knows what horrors she saw in her first 16 weeks to make her the way she was, but somehow through all that she knew. They are inseparable, the two of them. Their bond is something beautiful to watch.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hap73
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Damn you made me cry. I love cats. And that's a lovely story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Thanks.

Obviously not everyone enjoyed it. But I did lose momentum in the middle when I had to stop to feed the baby. So, it's not what I'd planned.

Quoting hap73: Damn you made me cry. I love cats. And that's a lovely story.
Mummy2Connor
by Karissa on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

That's deep surprised

Missdameanor
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Nice read! Thanks =)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Lol

Quoting Mummy2Connor:

That's deep surprised

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks

Quoting Missdameanor: Nice read! Thanks =)
hap73
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, women on here are lacking a great many things, hearts, empathy and intelligence being just a few....

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thanks.

Obviously not everyone enjoyed it. But I did lose momentum in the middle when I had to stop to feed the baby. So, it's not what I'd planned.

Quoting hap73: Damn you made me cry. I love cats. And that's a lovely story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Awe. that is sweet. We had a cat who was a monster as well. She calmed down as she got older. She used to try and kill me. I have a cat allergy and for whatever reason that cat would lay on my face if she was let into my room. I would be miserable for hours after that.

Other than that after her grumpy phase (12 years) she was a sweet cat.

Brandyns87
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:57 PM
That is so sweet. This was heartwarming. My baby and my kitten are close and I'm hoping they stay close.
mom2hadley
by Jagged Edge on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM
This is a great post! Thank you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)