Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When it rains it pours....

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 18 Replies

Any one know how to put up enough of a fuss to make a car dealership fix something they broke but may have broke on its own in a matter of time?  I'm usually very laid back but the van is our own vehicle and we have 4 kids so right now I can't even go anywhere with the entire family as the loaner they gave us is just a car, and they want the loaner back tomorrow.

Entire story behind why they have my van below:

I was told some time ago about the Ford Windstar's rear Axle recall by another member on here.  I called the local ford dealership but they said basically I would be without my van until it was fixed and there was no determined amount of time that it would get fixed if I brought it in for the recall.  So I kept putting it off.

1 Week ago my rear axle snapped in 1/2 while driving, luckily only doing about 10-15mph as I was going over some railroad tracks and a sharper turn.

We had to push ford to give us a loaner car stating we could only have it for 2 days though, and when they finally lifted the van to fix the rear axle, they discovered that the subframe also needed replaced(more of an on the down low recall)  So they called us to let us know ford corporate approved the fix and that we could keep the loaner until that was fixed.

We get a phone call today, they broke a bolt when they removed the exhaust, but due to the age of the van the amount of rust and such without replacing the entire manifest there is no way to hang the exhaust back up and Ford is refusing to fix it.  They are saying it was only a matter of time until it broke on its own. 

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I've worked at a dealership before, I know they usually win at this. Good luck.
o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM

yea i'm pretty worried about this, because of how good at getting out of things they are.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've worked at a dealership before, I know they usually win at this. Good luck.

Foolynroo2
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:25 PM

That's something that happens, they can't control the rust and rot on your car.

Sucks but I think u have to pony up.

Foolynroo2
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

And do you mean exhaust manifold?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:33 PM
I read the title of this as "when the rain starts to pour" and all I can think of is the show Friends
o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM

yes i believe that is what they are talking about. The guy said roughly it would be about $800 to fix it.

But had they not decided to go in and fix the sub-frame recall this wouldn't have happened. We had a guy already fix that some by doing some welding work but the dealership was adamant that we allow them to replace it as it was one that qualified for the full replacement not just the reinforcement. Which is basically what our mechanic had done for us as we didn't know it was a recall and reinforcing it was the only way to get it to pass inspection like 2 yrs ago.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Dh used to sell cars. You have to prove that it wouldn't have broken otherwise and there was no rust before they will fix it. Sorry looks like you are sol.
Foolynroo2
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That's really high, what year is your windstar, is it both manifolds?

And regardless you consented to the repair.

Not being an ass, I'm just saying, I know you think it's unfair but you did consent to the repair, and this happens sometimes.

Quoting o0gone0o:

yes i believe that is what they are talking about. The guy said roughly it would be about $800 to fix it.

But had they not decided to go in and fix the sub-frame recall this wouldn't have happened. We had a guy already fix that some by doing some welding work but the dealership was adamant that we allow them to replace it as it was one that qualified for the full replacement not just the reinforcement. Which is basically what our mechanic had done for us as we didn't know it was a recall and reinforcing it was the only way to get it to pass inspection like 2 yrs ago.

Quoting Foolynroo2:

Missdameanor
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I'm sorry. They aren't going to pay for what has rusted =(
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I think the dealership is going to win this one. There was rust, the car is old, and the parts in question had been changed by an outside mechanic. Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)