Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wal-Mart Designates 'Fat Girl Costumes' Section Online?!

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
  • 73 Replies

Wal-Mart Designates 'Fat Girl Costumes' Section Online

woman vampire

When you're shopping for a Halloween costume, you're probably looking for something that falls into one of few categories: scary, super-cute or possibly even sexy. The one label most women are not seeking: fat girl. 

But for some reason retail giant Wal-Mart chose those very words to describe their selection of plus-size costumes for women on its website.

As you'd expect, shoppers of all shapes and sizes took to social media to demand an explanation. 

Wal-Mart spokesman Ravi Jariwala told Business Insider:

This never should have been on our site. It is unacceptable, and we apologize. We are working to remove it as soon as possible and ensure this never happens again.

But how did that happen in the first place is what we'd like to know?

More from The Stir: 10 Totally Inappropriate Halloween Costumes for Moms (PHOTOS) 

Did employees at Wal-Mart really think ANY woman would actually look for costumes using those search terms? Seems pretty unlikely!

And sure, Halloween is a food-centric holiday but this isn't the first time this season an international corporation has basically told women they need to slim down and stay in shape in a not-so-subtle fashion.

Subway began running commercials last month that suggest ladies eat light so they can fit into their costumes -- and from the scantily clad babes featured in the ads, these were no "fat girl costumes."

It would still be completely unacceptable if there were a corresponding "fat boys costumes" section or a sandwich maker aimed its "keep fit for your slutty costume" ads at men, but at least then you could say they were being universally offensive

Do you find this offensive?

Image © Marcel Steger/Corbis

by on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
7 moms liked this
This fatty found it pretty hilarious! I can understand why people would be offended but I just don't let things like this get to me, not important enough.
aimkins18
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Can you link this?! I can't find it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

While I find it wrong to do, I find it goes along with the way society today acts.

If you want to get technical, it's the internet and according to most, some  get too easily offended on the internet. Don't you all know the internet, isn't a serious place?

Bubbie0809
by on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Not offended
I call myself a fat chick all the time
It is what it is
It takes more than the term fat to offend me
CAT_NIP
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Fatties need costumes too! :) <3
hautemama83
by on Oct. 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I'm not offended. I can't see why anyone would be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I am a size 14.

Call me fat if you want to.

I got it all in all the right places:).Busty and Booty.No complaints from my husband.

poisonedtaco
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM

My mom is big. In fact, it doesn't bother her at all as she's always calling herself fat and laughing about it. But searching for "fat girl costumes" just seems like something I could see her doing lol

CBMMOM
by on Oct. 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Whenever something is "offensive" ,it usually seems like the people it doesn't apply to are the ones who seem most offended.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I'm fat and not offended. I think the word should be used often so it loses its insult. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)