Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need MRI advice...update

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM
  • 17 Replies
I am claustrophobic and can't stand anything covering my face how do I get through being stuck in a metal coffin for half an hour?

The pills didn't work they just made me sleep for 24 he's. They sucked me into the machine and immediately yelled get me out of here. That's what hubby tells me anyway I thought I said that ain't gonna do it. Hubby also tells me I kept telling the receptionist about doctor dickhead. I am now scheduled for attempt number 3 but in the open MRI no one cares what the doc wants at this point.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says W.T.F.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Ask your doctor for meds.
tabbycat907
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:38 AM
If you tell your dr they'll prescribe you a xanax
LEmommy0913
by Rachel on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:39 AM
Talk to your doctor beforehand. They can give anxiety meds if they know ahead of time
CarlosFer
by Julia on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM
I have multiple sclerosis and have had dozens of MRIs. My best advice is to pray or try to sing your favorite songs in your head. It is really not too bad, I promise!
silverflash
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:44 AM
He did prescribe ativan for me but will it really work? I only made it 2 minutes with out it. I am seriously questioning this because even when I was in shock and drugged up I kept pulling my oxygen mask off. I can't even hug someone if my face gets squished into their chests. I always turn my head. I am freaking out about having to do this again.
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
My doc sent me to a place with an open sided MRI. maybe there is one in your area. The last time I had one I concentrated on the noises I was hearing and actually fell asleep.
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Ask your doc for meds.  Or ask if there is an "open air MRI" in the area you can go to instead.  They are not closed in like traditional MRIs.

silverflash
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:58 AM
The jerk told me the pictures aren't as good in an open MRI and won't let me do that. He doesn't get how freaked I am. I am plus sized and will need a can opener to get out of the thing. The doc told me he had a 350lb non English speaking downs syndrome kid in there and he got through it. That is great butheleft out whether the kid was claustrophobic or not. There is a reason I call this doc Dr Dickhead he has no compassion.
sunangel803
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Ask your doctor to prescribe an anti anxiety med, like Xanax or Valium.
fairymom82
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:03 AM
My Dr gave me an injection of valium . I don't remember a damn thing from the waiting room shot to being wheeled out to my car. I had a full on melt down blowout panic attack the first time we tried. Size doesn't matter either as I'm a tiny 5'1 and 92 lbs but it felt like a tiny box and the noise was weird. I was perfectly fine with my valium and noise cancelling headphones the next time. Shit that time was like a freaking vacation compared to the first attemp.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)