• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice, not nasty comments.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

First of all, I'm NOT American nor Canadian, English in not my native language, but I'm trying to learn. I went to couple of ESL courses, but whatever they teach in there, I already know. I just need to get a little better at grammar. What books would you recommend to read, movies to watch? Thanks, in advance!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:29 AM
No clue here's a bump.
klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:29 AM
I hate to tell you but most of us that speak English don't do it properly. It's a hard language. Good luck!!
goldpandora
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM

Frankly? Anything and everything you can lay your hands on. Sign up with a theatre group. The more you use English the easier it gets (I taught English as a second language to professional adults for years). Above all, don't limit your choices. What kind of books do you enjoy reading?

TheRingmaster
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM
Wow, no idea :)
Maybe look into some college English books.
I think your typing is great. I've seen far worse from Americans. Lol especially on here.
Good luck. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM

What you are interested in. Chose topics that you enjoy. Learning a language takes time and practice. I know here that they have groups of people that meet and practice holding conversations in their language of interest.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. 

Quoting Mazie0723: No clue here's a bump.

whattheheck85
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:31 AM
Where are you located? If near an elementary school that teaches English, contact them and ask if they have any workbooks you can use. Seriously. When I learned German, we were taught like German children were taught to speak, read and write. A lot better than simple memorization. Good luck!
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:32 AM
Watch current sitcoms and kids shows...cleaner ones unless you really want to learn slang and sexual innuendoes. Last Man Standing, The Middle, The Goldbergs, are all good ones. My cousin watched kids shows to get more fluent in Spanish. Disney channel has sitcoms targeted to a younger crowd.
lifeisajoy
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Put it on capture when you watch tv. Watch the news. You can also get Rosetta Stone. 

embrigmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I have an Aunt who came to america from Japan (my uncle met her while there while serving in the military) anyway she knew very little english when she came here (back in the 70's or 80's i wasn't born yet so I'm retelling what I was told) she learned English by reading books/ magazines that were printed in Japanese and the same one printed in English Think she sentences by senentences. Anyway my point is that maybe you could find things printed in both your native langauge and in English to help you learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)