Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and anxiety

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 23 Replies
So my 9 year old has been diagnosed with testing anxiety. Several people have said I should see about getting her on anxiety medication. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Anyone been through this?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Because anxiety is a chemical imbalance in the brain- medication is a good option for this disorder.

However, I would try other things first. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a good alternitive. Diet and exercise changes, coping mechanisms, things like that.

I rarely recommend medication. Really only for schizophrenia, bipolar, depression and anxiety.

For anxiety though it would be a very very last resort. I would take a few years of trying other methods.
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd and I both suffer from anxiety. I would suggest counseling and learning breathing exercises. I don't believe medication is the answer to everything.  Especially that young.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm tired of hearing people use medication.  I've had anxiety for 22 years and the only thing that worked is learning how to COPE - i.e. Breathing exercises, journaling and positive thinking.  Look into Lucinda Basset.  She has a program about how to deal with anxiety and depression WITHOUT medication.  It's the only thing that has worked and changed my life.  Why do you want to mask the problem?  Teach her how to deal with the problem.

Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM
The thing is she only get anxiety during tests not with anything else.
Bieg9093
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

The way I see it, anxiety feeds more anxiety.  Sometimes you need a little something to break the cycle.  If my child were having genuine problems with anxiety, I would use a medication in concert with other appropriate courses of action (chamomile tea at bedtime, appropriate expectations at school, tutoring if necessary, exercise regimen, and so forth).

omfgitsannie
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:05 AM

This.

Quoting Sydel:

My dd and I both suffer from anxiety. I would suggest counseling and learning breathing exercises. I don't believe medication is the answer to everything.  Especially that young.

Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
She has also been going to the physiological clinic to try to learn to deal with it during tests but where as they say it's working at the clinic it is not working at school.
razorbackfan
by BadgerMom on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM
My dd has anxiety and takes zolof and it helps her out alot.
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

So would she only take medication before a test? Or is it something everyday like Paxil? I don't like the idea of medication in general. I'm not against it. It just makes me nervous. I feel like it should be a last resort.

Quoting Mandymb: The thing is she only get anxiety during tests not with anything else.

Sydel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree 110%

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm tired of hearing people use medication.  I've had anxiety for 22 years and the only thing that worked is learning how to COPE - i.e. Breathing exercises, journaling and positive thinking.  Look into Lucinda Basset.  She has a program about how to deal with anxiety and depression WITHOUT medication.  It's the only thing that has worked and changed my life.  Why do you want to mask the problem?  Teach her how to deal with the problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)