Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Violent Mentally Handicapped Student

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

The other day I was at my daughter's school for their Halloween parade/parties. There was a group of mentally handicapped children that were walking around for the parade. One particular boy was probably in fourth grade and had quite the "build" to him. He was a big boy (not fat, just big in size). While they were walking them around, he was constantly pushing the other small children (my daughter is in kindergarden). Between that point and when we were watching all the kids in the hallway, he had pushed 4 kids and 3 adults. I was one of the adults. He walked by and shoved my shoulder. This was not a friendly shove, it was a very forceful shove that pushed me up against the wall and caused pain. It was the kind of shove that if an adult had done to me, I probably would have shoved back. The teachers that were with him did not say anything nor did they do anything any of the times he had done this. By no means am I directing this post to all handicapped kids, however after witnessing/experiencing this, I do not think children like him (physically violent), should be in a building with other kids. If he was able to shove a 29 year old female then what could he do to a small 5 year old? And has he ever gotten more violent? Thoughts please.....

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTurbo
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be concerned too. 

Unfortunately, they probably wont do anything to prevent him hurting kids until he DOES hurt someone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM
That's crazy. It doesn't sound like your school knows what they are doing with him.
ttriddick
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I don't think any child that shows constant aggression should be with other kids. But you see it all the time around here, handicapped or not. And it is usually not the handicapped kids I see with that sort of aggression. So I'm with you, school should be safe for all kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM
The school is not accommodating him appropriately. If he has violent outbursts, he should have an aide with him to protect not only him, but the other students and adults in the school. It may be that he only has outbursts when his routine is changed or when there is a lot of external stimulus, in which case, he should be closely monitored during those events or not allowed to participate. Banning him from the school building is extreme.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM
This exactly.

Quoting Anonymous 2: The school is not accommodating him appropriately. If he has violent outbursts, he should have an aide with him to protect not only him, but the other students and adults in the school. It may be that he only has outbursts when his routine is changed or when there is a lot of external stimulus, in which case, he should be closely monitored during those events or not allowed to participate. Banning him from the school building is extreme.
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Children who are poorly behaved, using force against others, doing things that could cause injury to themself or others, or are a complete distraction from the learning that is supposed to be occurring should be seperated from the rest of the studenys until that behavior can be corrected. Regardless of their physical and mental abilities.

Some children do not do well in a regular classroom. Some need a quiet, one on one situation in order to make progress. It is a disservice to all the children to try to make them all fit in one learning mode.

OP....i would talk to your lo's teacher and principal about your concerns. They are valid.
hollyann85
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM

He did have an aide with him. Each student (in the mentally handicapped room) had their own aide. At one point he had two because he laid down on the ground and refused to get up. They were with him each time he shoved someone and one of the adults he shoved was his aide. She responded with "that makes me sad".

Quoting Anonymous 2: The school is not accommodating him appropriately. If he has violent outbursts, he should have an aide with him to protect not only him, but the other students and adults in the school. It may be that he only has outbursts when his routine is changed or when there is a lot of external stimulus, in which case, he should be closely monitored during those events or not allowed to participate. Banning him from the school building is extreme.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM
This.

michal6
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM
In that case, I think it should be mentioned to the school that the aid needs more training in dealing with him and not allowing his aggressive behavior.

Quoting hollyann85:

He did have an aide with him. Each student (in the mentally handicapped room) had their own aide. At one point he had two because he laid down on the ground and refused to get up. They were with him each time he shoved someone and one of the adults he shoved was his aide. She responded with "that makes me sad".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:40 AM
He shouldn't be around the other kids then. That's bullshit and my child shouldn't be at risk for being injured by a much larger kid just because he's fucking handicapped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)