Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I don't know what to buy my kid, you pick." say WHAT?!?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this
This is admittedly a bit snarky but after all these years of seeing it, here it is...how do you not know what your kid is into, therefore giving you at least a direction as to what to buy them for gifts...instead you ask strangers what you should buy your own child? It's not even a "hey, he hates sports, loves to read, is into science and anime...anyone have some cool ideas?" No, its just, "I have no idea what to buy my 10 year old, what do 10 year old boys like, what should I get?" I don't get it? Explain the rationale.

Don't get me wrong, I have one super easy to buy for kid and one not...but I KNOW him, his personality, interests, etc. So I know in which directions to hunt down gifts he would enjoy. I can't imagine knowing so little about him that I would have to resort to asking strangers.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I have friends like that. I'll ask what their kids are into so i can buy them a gift, and I get a really vague, unhelpful answer. I would understand if the kids were really little. My ds is almost 2 and can be hard to buy for. But a 4 or 5 year old? Surely they like SOMETHING.
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Yeah, it's so strange to me...like do you pay such little attention to your kid that a stranger rambling off what the average kid that gender and age typically like would know better than you, the parent?

Quoting myempyreofdirt: I have friends like that. I'll ask what their kids are into so i can buy them a gift, and I get a really vague, unhelpful answer. I would understand if the kids were really little. My ds is almost 2 and can be hard to buy for. But a 4 or 5 year old? Surely they like SOMETHING.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I know exactly what my kid likes but I won't presume to know your budget. So I'm not going to suggest something on either side of the fence as to not offend you. It's easy enough to walk into a store and ask a sales associate where the 10 year old boy items are...
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Yes! A good point...if your son loves to read, how do I know if he does or does not already have a device he uses such as a kindle, nexus, iPad...or if that's something you can even afford right now. Or, what KIND of books does he enjoy?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know exactly what my kid likes but I won't presume to know your budget. So I'm not going to suggest something on either side of the fence as to not offend you. It's easy enough to walk into a store and ask a sales associate where the 10 year old boy items are...
jujubear1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
For dd's bday, people have been asking what she wants. I start off with uh...as I'm going back to the bazillion conversations where dd has told me what she wants and then list off a few options. I don't get how it can be hard either.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this
DS is very clear about what he wants. Minecraft, Doctor Who, Super Heroes and Transformers.
mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I hardly have suggestions on those posts because every kid is so different. I'm focused on my kiddos and what to get them. I know my kids well so getting them gifts isn't too hard.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I would ask for suggestions or reccomendations for types of toys. I know what my kids like though. My son can be tough. He likes legos and football, lol. That is about it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
So you're assuming all 10 year old boys like the same things and that all of those things are neatly arranged together in stores?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know exactly what my kid likes but I won't presume to know your budget. So I'm not going to suggest something on either side of the fence as to not offend you. It's easy enough to walk into a store and ask a sales associate where the 10 year old boy items are...
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Yeah, and even if a kid doesn't have specific ideas, you're his mom, you'd probably know what he's into or if he, say, would enjoy playing with transformer action figures or would he rather have some other transformer paraphernalia, or both?

I always want to reply... "The gift you should give you child is a more involved mommy. Go play with them, go talk to them, get to know your kid. That's the best gift you can give them!"

Quoting Danesmommy1: DS is very clear about what he wants. Minecraft, Doctor Who, Super Heroes and Transformers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)