• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This jerk at a restaurant last night wouldn't stop cussing next to my son

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
it was my sisters birthday last night. She's turning 21 and picked this "trendy" restaurant to go to. My hubs was sick and I couldn't get a sitter, so I brought my 5yo son.

The tables were small and tightly packed together. He was behaving super well. The man next to us, who looked like a 20 something frat boy, wasn't speaking super loudly, but if there was ever a pause in our conversation, you could hear him cussing, talking about drinking, drugs, "f*cking", the works.

We asked the manager to say something and he said no, since it's an "adult establishment" and there were no tables to move us to. We asked him to tone it down and he rolled his eyes and turned away. We eventually just put a movie on the iPad with headphones for my son, but I was so pissed. Lo and behold, this morning, he's learned the f-word. Ugh
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM
5 moms liked this
If you bring your child to a place that's frequented by adults, things like this may happen.

It's just a word.
Scarlevimama
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

That sucks, but the manager was right. I think cussing around children (even if they aren't your own) is pretty trashy, but there's nothing you can do about it if they choose to cuss. Free country and all that jazz.

bresmommy21
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I was out to eat with my hubby, mil and bil. My bil kept cussing and at the next table was a couple with a young daughter I was sooo embarrassed and said something to my hubby when we were alone in the car.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM
eh, it happens out in public. you could've left.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM
He shouldn't've been at that type of restaurant.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

That's the risk you take when you take your kid to a public place that's not meant for kids.

epoh
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
It happens. Your son is old enough to be taught what adult language is and who uses it.
ragdoll7777
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Keep taking headphones with you; people cuss and that's that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
3 moms liked this
I would just explain to my son (so that the guy could hear), that some people have a limited vocabulary because they aren't as smart as other people, so they only know rude words. And that I would hope that he (my DS) would grow up to be smarter and more polite than that guy.

Yes, people cuss. But there's something to be said for being polite to other humans and aware of your surroundings. It's no different than not letting a huge, smelly fart rip in church, you know,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

It happens sometimes. If it was making me that uncomfortable I would have just left and wwent else where.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)