Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never thought i would be that mother. WWYD??

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM
  • 76 Replies

I have a seven yr old boy that is extremely smart and active and out going. My problem is.. the past two years he has had major issues at school with being able to sit quietly in class. he is constanly needing to move around and touch something or play or talk to someone. He is in first grade now so play time is over. I've spoke with a lot of his teachers and his doctor about his issues. (his doctor said there is no doubt that he has a touch of adhd) I know that my son is a little on the hyper side but all boys are. The school is telling me he is going to start falling behind if  i don't get him some kind of help, i have no problem with helping my child but I don't want to have to put him on meds either. Opinions on the subject and maybe some information or personal experience would be greatly appreciated! 

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandybasenberg
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Heres a bump. Im in the same situation only mine is in kindergarten and not doing so well. He's smart just constantly talking, moving, rolling around when he shouldnt be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Try coffee, give him some in the morning
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Have you adjusted his diet?  A friend's son has ADHD and she found that anything with artificial food dyes winds him up.   YOu could talk to a dietician about a good diet for your child.  My friend actually makes everything for her kids to eat and it does help.    Also, you could talk to a behavior therapist about ways to help your son learn to control himself.   It may take alot of work, but I agree withyou, that they are better than meds.

Finally, I would like to voice my opinion of these active children from teh point of view of other kids.   Your kid is distracting and his talking and constant movement is a real issue for many other kids who need to focus to learn and do their work.  I get that your child is important to you and you need to do what is best, but please don't ignore his affect on others.   My child is the oppositve of yours - she is very sensitive to noise and other stimuli.   The 'busy' kids in class were really too much for her, but she has learned to tune them out.  So if she can learn to control that, then your child can learn to control his actions as well.   :-)

auntyag
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Coffee. Not a lot just a little. My parents gave it to me and I give it to my ds. It really does help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered a different school? Sometimes kids like that excel at Montessori based schools. Or maybe a Waldorf school?
SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM
IDK.... here's a bump
Del672
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I heard this before!!  We've never tried it though.  My son just can't bring himself to feed his 8 yr old coffee. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Try coffee, give him some in the morning

Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I medicated ds since he was failing... but things we tried before hand- a stress ball. I feel like that might work for your son. If they don't allow that in school, art stores have this eraser that you can mold, pull apart, etc. Same concept, just get his hands moving. The teacher had to sit him by one other student, instead of in groups of 4. It kinda helped the other kid cuz ds was outgoing and the other kid was shy, more withdrawn. They became friends to where ds introduced him to others on the play ground.

Also, if possible, throw him in sports. Ds goes to karate class once a week (currently 3 times for this month), but he practices every day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

There's nothing I hate more than generalizations.

All boys are?  Really?  Huh.  Well, I have 3 sons, 4 nephews, a brother and a male cousin who grew up more like my twin.  Guess what?  NONE of them are "on the hyper side".

Control your frigging kid.  TEACH him how to behave.  Stop making excuses.

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

What is the school willing to do to help your son without expecting you to drug him?  How much recess and/or gym does he get?  Is there something they can have him do at school to use a little energy and change scenery for a few minutes when needed - like allowing him to take or pick up papers to/from the office?  Maybe he can stop using a chair and stand at his desk - this kept my one daughter from feeling too confined at a desk.

I would ask the school in what ways are they willing to help your Chillicothe succeed instead of just turning him into a drone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)