Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chili anyone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
So, I'm making a big pot of chili for dinner. I use ground beef, pintos, kidney beans, chili beans, diced tomatoes, onion, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to make my chili and it's delicious. Once it's done we eat it with cheese and crackers in it. How do you make chili?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Ground beef or turkey

Onions

Bell peppers

tomato paste

diced tomatoes

ro-tel 

cilantro

dried oregano

chili powder

fresh garlic

cinnamon

cumin

black pepper

kosher salt

cayenne pepper

black beans- I use dried that I have cooked off already

I serve mine with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and corn bread that is homemade. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Vindictive421
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Pinto beans
Ground beef
Chili powder
Onion powder
Salt
Garlic
Green chilies
Tomatoes
Chili flakes
Onions
I know I'm probably forgetting something, I serve it with corn bread or tortillas
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I make it a lot like you do but I use ground turkey and sometimes I splash in some BBQ sauce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:30 PM
This sounds delicious! I'd have to forego the cilantro, though... DH doesn't like it.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ground beef or turkey

Onions

Bell peppers

tomato paste

diced tomatoes

ro-tel 

cilantro

dried oregano

chili powder

fresh garlic

cinnamon

cumin

black pepper

kosher salt

cayenne pepper

black beans- I use dried that I have cooked off already

I serve mine with cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and corn bread that is homemade. 

lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

My chili has the following. 

Cubed sirloin or bison

Onions I use one red and one sweet yellow

Red, green and yellow bell peppers one of each

Celery

Leeks

Jalapenos

Anahiem peppers

Hatch chili peppers

Garlic

Tomatoes I roast in the oven then dice

Pinto beans and kidney beans I use dry and make ahead of time

Cumin

Chili powder

Oregano

Vegetable stock homemade

Tomato paste homemade

Guinness beer

Brown sugar

Salt and pepper

We top with a bit of cheese and green onions.  I serve with a spinach salad and a homemade vinaigrette.

When I make chili I make two large pots and freeze most of it.  I usually freeze in freezer bags that are laid flat on a cookie sheet. Once frozen they are easy to stack and store. I do this with all of my homemade soups.  I make vegetable stock in large quantities usually two large stock pots worth. I freeze in ice cube trays and they are stored in large freezer bags.  I can drop in what I need for meals.  On nights I don't feel like cooking I have usually three or four different soups to choose from and can simply toss a salad together and still have a healthy and yummy meal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Wow! I wish I was more creative with my cooking! This sounds amazing!

Quoting lukesmom2002:

Cubed sirloin or bison

Celery

Leeks

Jalapenos

Anahiem peppers

Hatch chili peppers

Garlic

Cumin

Chili powder

Oregano

Vegetable stock homemade

Tomato paste homemade

Guinness beer

Brown sugar

Salt and pepper

We top with a bit of cheese and green onions.  I serve with a spinach salad and a homemade vinaigrette.

When I make chili I make two large pots and freeze most of it.  I usually freeze in freezer bags that are laid flat on a cookie sheet. Once frozen they are easy to stack and store. I do this with all of my homemade soups.  I make vegetable stock in large quantities usually two large stock pots worth. I freeze in ice cube trays and they are stored in large freezer bags.  I can drop in what I need for meals.  On nights I don't feel like cooking I have usually three or four different soups to choose from and can simply toss a salad together and still have a healthy and yummy meal. 

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Our chili has:

Ground beef
Jalapenos
Onion
Tomato
Salt
Pepper
Red chili flakes
Chili powder
Smoked paprika
Garlic

And then whatever finishing touches my husband adds to make it awesome.
lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I like cooking and have the time since I am at home and my only child is in school.lol My family every year has a chili cook off so I am always tweaking my recipe to compete. There are a few ingredients I didn't add just in case one of my nosy relatives is on here.lol 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Wow! I wish I was more creative with my cooking! This sounds amazing!
Quoting lukesmom2002:

Cubed sirloin or bison

Celery

Leeks

Jalapenos

Anahiem peppers

Hatch chili peppers

Garlic

Cumin

Chili powder

Oregano

Vegetable stock homemade

Tomato paste homemade

Guinness beer

Brown sugar

Salt and pepper

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Bahahaha! Can't let em in on your secrets!

Quoting lukesmom2002:

I like cooking and have the time since I am at home and my only child is in school.lol My family every year has a chili cook off so I am always tweaking my recipe to compete. There are a few ingredients I didn't add just in case one of my nosy relatives is on here.lol 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Wow! I wish I was more creative with my cooking! This sounds amazing!
Quoting lukesmom2002:

Cubed sirloin or bison

Celery

Leeks

Jalapenos

Anahiem peppers

Hatch chili peppers

Garlic

Cumin

Chili powder

Oregano

Vegetable stock homemade

Tomato paste homemade

Guinness beer

Brown sugar

Salt and pepper

Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I make a wonderful vegan sweet potato chili. SO GOOD and good for you! I might make it today now.... lol

I make my chili with sweet potatoes, kidney and black beans, fresh heirloom tomatoes, no chicken base (vegan chicken broth), bell pepper, red onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, cocoa powder, cinnamon, Celtic sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and we garnish with scallions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)