Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegan Cooks. HELP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My dd is 11 and has recently decided she wants to try eating vegan. I am fully supportive of her choice but am just at a loss for meal ideas for her.

So far she has mostly been eating various steamed veggies.

I have tried looking online for recipes but she has food allergies, so fining one allergy fee, that looks appealing, and doesn't take for ever has been a struggel.

She is allergic to legumes. So peas, beans, peanuts, chicken peas. Her allergies are not life threatening, but I don't want to feed her anything that's going to make her sick or uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any favorite, tested recipes, that your family loves?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Bump
Anonymous
Bump
Anonymous
Bump
etsmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Why not try dry roasting some veggies with a little olive oil and S&P then tossing it with some cooked noodles. Season with fresh or dried herbs. Not vegan, but we eat lots of meals that are vegan.  

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Vegan with a legume allergy is a tough one. They're an important source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
Can she eat lentils even though they're a legume? If so, I use them as a substitute for many ground beef dishes.
Try looking up recipes with quinoa.
But honestly, if she cannot eat any legumes, I would talk to a doctor about it, because she can experience severe protein deficiency. Personally, I don't think a Vegan diet would be appropriate for her, maybe she could try a vegetarian diet, but better ask a doctor about it.
Beatlemama
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Most of my vegan recipes have beans.  Good luck!

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Depending on how adventurous she is, a lot of Indian food is vegan. and fun fact-Pillsbury crescent rolls are actually vegan. I use those to round out my meals at times.

www.findingvegan.com 

my favorite website for vegan recipes! 

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Nuts and seeds can also be good sources for proteins and minerals. Look into raw vegan recipes also as they don't eat anything that has to be cooked. That excludes the legume family altogether. 

JulietAngel89
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I love vegan fried rice. Also vegetarian paella is a recent fave of mine. 

shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

rice? what happens when she eats legumes? I make my kids a veggie rice bake, which is basically 1 cup rice, whatever vegetables we have on hand and two and a half cups veggie broth, cover with foil and bake until rice is tender

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)