Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of lowlife steals a childs wheelchair?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

Support pours in after Fla. child's wheelchair stolen

41 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- How does a child's $6,000 custom made wheelchair just disappear?

That's what one Avondale family is trying to find out.

First Coast News reported over the weekend about the chair disappearing from the young girl's front porch. Support has poured in since then.

FCN's David Williams followed up with the girl's family on Monday.

"I have a feeling it was just kids that didn't know what it was that they were moving," said Beth Rasch, the mother of the child who's stroller-wheelchair was stolen. "Probably wheeled it away."

It's a custom made stroller-wheelchair for Rasch's 10 year old daughter, Clara.

Clara lives with a seizure disorder and has the mental capacity of a very young child.

Clara can't walk and needs the stroller to leave home.

Beth left it right in front of the porch for an hour before it vanished.

"I'm not angry with whoever took it. Or whatever situation rolled it away from our home," Rasch said. "We just want to get it back."

Even the guys that pick up the neighborhood trash are trying to help find the stroller.

"I was very concerned about that," said sanitation worker, Ellis Siplin. "That's a little child. She need her stroller."

Unfortunately, they haven't spotted it on their route. Online fund raising sites have popped up, too. But Rasch doesn't want people's kindness to be taken advantage of.

"If you see anything like that pop up in Clara's name," Rasch said. "Know that it's really not through the family. We're not collecting funds."

Several people have reached out to FCN offering to help. The JT Townsend Foundation has offered to replace the stroller-wheelchair, if the family can't find it. A spokeswoman for the foundation said they have never had a call like this before, but they're on stand-by to help

"We can do two different things," Explained Kelly Winer, a spokeswoman for the JT Townsend Foundation. "We can provide financial assistance or also we can purchase adaptive equipment."

Rasch said a mobility company is trying to line up a loaner chair until the issue is resolved.

"For everyone else out there, we are so thankful for the outpouring of support, kindness and concern for Clara," Rasch said.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM

bump

MajesticHorse
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Oh my gosh.. I can't believe someone would do that.
Banana.Time
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Aww that's sad. I wonder why they would leave it outside though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

You don't leave a $6,000 wheelchair outside, you just don't. But that sucks, just the same. Who would do that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

bump

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Ugh I hate people sometimes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:26 PM
That mom seems very understanding of the theft. I doubt I would be so calm. Hopefully the chair is found.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM
There are countless reasons it would have been left outside. If it was a wet, muddy or snowy day the mom may have left it out to dry or wait to be cleaned up. No different than leaving a stroller on a porch, she is small enough to be carried.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

You don't leave a $6,000 wheelchair outside, you just don't. But that sucks, just the same. Who would do that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

It costs $6,000, ffs. Bet she'll be more careful next time.

Quoting Anonymous 3: There are countless reasons it would have been left outside. If it was a wet, muddy or snowy day the mom may have left it out to dry or wait to be cleaned up. No different than leaving a stroller on a porch, she is small enough to be carried.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Shy_Dia
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Aww, that poor family. I like how understanding the mom is though, but I'm sure inside, she's seething. I also like how they aren't trying to get funds to get a new one. They want the original wheelchair but hopefully if it's not found and they need the financial help, they'd accept... but I'm secretly wishing that it'll turn back up at their house
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)