Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL had $22,000 and..........

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

First of all, I REALLY don't care about MIL's finances. She makes it a point for us to know though, because she's always borrowing money for one reason or another. And we don't mind, because she always pays us back. So no biggie. We know they're almost always overdrawn, and never seem to have enough to pay their bills, and they take vacations every other month.

Now to the point of this post: They just got a large check for a class action settlement they were a part of. Did they get ahead on their bills with it? Did they pay off any credit cards, or put any in savings? No. They dumped it ALL into buying a bigger package on their time share. Seriously, WTF? It wouldn't bother me nearly as much if I didn't know they're probably going to call us sometime next month and ask to borrow a couple grand to pay their bills.

I keep telling DH we need to stop bailing them out, but he gets defensive and says it's not a big deal because they always pay us back. Grrrrrrr.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM
My mom is the same way. She makes an absolutely obscene amount of money, but she'll borrow cash because she doesn't keep any on her and it's a drag to stop at the cash machine. She always pays it back, but dh gets pissed about loaning to someone who makes about 9 times more than most people.

By the way, your inlaws are real idiots. A time share??? 22k on a time share??? Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Time share is a horrible investment. Stop loaning them money. I know it's hard to get on the same page with dh at times but you really need to put your foot down.
I don't agree with our in laws spending habits. Unfortunately their horrible spending has been passed to their kids. My dh doesn't know anything about the money world. Luckily he is very open to learning and trusts me. His younger sister literally spends all of her money on makeup. His other sister lives beyond her means and only cares about buying things to act like they are "rich." They literally bought a $40,000+ car and the next week were asking for $1000 for rent. How ridiculous!!!!
What strangers do with their money really doesn't bother me at all. When it's somebody you know and are in close relation to it can be annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Im glad my mom and MIL have always been financially responsible and never needed to borrow money from their children. Just like we dont borrow from our children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Is he right, do they always pay you back?
msalice_21
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I wouldnt be letting her borrow money anymore. I woukdnt find it fair for her to put that burden of borrowing your money with the rik of not getting it bsack, when she couldve easily just paid her stuff off and been more responsible.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM
That would irritate me to no end :/
Good luck!
kailu1835
Stop allowing them to borrow money from you. Put your foot down with your husband.
lollip0p
If they always pay you back when they say they will i dont see a problem
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM

It's not actually a time share, but I don't know what else to call it. It's kind of like a membership for hotels, cruises, resorts, etc. all over the world. It can even be passed on to someone when they die, so I guess you can say it's part of DH's inheritance, lol.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Time share is a horrible investment. Stop loaning them money. I know it's hard to get on the same page with dh at times but you really need to put your foot down. I don't agree with our in laws spending habits. Unfortunately their horrible spending has been passed to their kids. My dh doesn't know anything about the money world. Luckily he is very open to learning and trusts me. His younger sister literally spends all of her money on makeup. His other sister lives beyond her means and only cares about buying things to act like they are "rich." They literally bought a $40,000+ car and the next week were asking for $1000 for rent. How ridiculous!!!! What strangers do with their money really doesn't bother me at all. When it's somebody you know and are in close relation to it can be annoying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM
My mom had to borrow from me a time or two. Once she dropped a hard lens contact down the drain right after my dads funeral. Life insurance had paid up yet and she was broke. Lots more to that story. Like my aunt and grandmother said they were paying for the headstone and didn't. It was expensive

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Im glad my mom and MIL have always been financially responsible and never needed to borrow money from their children. Just like we dont borrow from our children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)