Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breaking down

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have had such a bad couple of months. 

I am going absolutely insane. My son has been acting out so bad lately. I don't know how to make him stop his constant whining and fit throwing. He'll be 3 next month. 

I want to take a shower by myself, but he's always showered with me because otherwise he stands outside the bathroom screaming at the top of his lungs until he makes himself vomit. 

HOW DO YOU GUYS SHOWER ALONE? I'm a single mom, living alone with my son. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Careeka22
by Caitlin on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Honestly I put her in front of the TV with her favorite shows. She is 3.5. Sounds like he is just in the terrible 2/3's.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I've tried this! It doesn't work for him :(

Quoting Careeka22:

Honestly I put her in front of the TV with her favorite shows. She is 3.5. Sounds like he is just in the terrible 2/3's.

NipplePirate
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Wait until he is in bed at night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM

This is another problem we've been having. He won't go to sleep at night unless I lay down in the room with him, and he wakes up multiple times through the night crying for me. Every time I get him on a normal sleep schedule, he will spend a night at his dads house and everything is ruined. 

Quoting NipplePirate: Wait until he is in bed at night.

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Does anything occupy him normally? Food, games, phone, Ipad? I shower with my girl a lot but usually just to save time. I'm not single but DH doesn't help with bath time and it takes twice as long if we do it seperately.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM

He watches tv most of the time while he plays with his toys, and we play together when I'm not doing homework or cleaning. He doesn't ever eat. Ever lol. 

I was thinking about putting the baby gate up in his door way to his bedroom and making him play in there until I get out of the shower, but I've never done anything like that so I don't know how he would react. His bedroom door is right outside the bathroom, though.

Quoting Careeka22:

Does anything occupy him normally? Food, games, phone, Ipad? I shower with my girl a lot but usually just to save time. I'm not single but DH doesn't help with bath time and it takes twice as long if we do it seperately.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM

It is worth a shot. You can also leave him in his room and attempt to shower with the doors open. That way he can talk to you if need be but let him know not to actually open the shower curtain. Be sure to use incentives too, those work wonders on my DD. So tell him, son if you stay in your room the entire time I am showering you can get (insert his favorite thing). Candy of some kind is always a big hit at our house because she rarely gets any.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

He watches tv most of the time while he plays with his toys, and we play together when I'm not doing homework or cleaning. He doesn't ever eat. Ever lol. 

I was thinking about putting the baby gate up in his door way to his bedroom and making him play in there until I get out of the shower, but I've never done anything like that so I don't know how he would react. His bedroom door is right outside the bathroom, though.

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Candy is how I finally got him to poop in the potty, but lately he hasn't even been doing that. He cried for about an hour today for me to put a diaper on him (we have them because he still sleeps in them and takes naps in them) and once I finally broke down and put the diaper on him he pooped in it. I feel like he's reverting in so many ways lately. There isn't anything different in our lives so I really don't understand, but he's been acting more and more like a baby. 

Quoting Careeka22:

It is worth a shot. You can also leave him in his room and attempt to shower with the doors open. That way he can talk to you if need be but let him know not to actually open the shower curtain. Be sure to use incentives too, those work wonders on my DD. So tell him, son if you stay in your room the entire time I am showering you can get (insert his favorite thing). Candy of some kind is always a big hit at our house because she rarely gets any.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Aww that sucks. Maybe something going on at his dads? It could just be his age too. My friends son is 4 and also won't consistently go on the potty. He also asks for diapers to go in. He is just a very needy little boy unfortunately.  I also feel around 3 they just start changing a bit, my DD has recently become so emotional. Everything makes her cry and we can't figure out why. We ask her why she is crying and all she says is either, I don't know why I'm crying or that we hurt her feelings. It is a trying age that is for sure!

Just try to stay consistant that is all I can say and best of luck! Seems like we both need it lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Candy is how I finally got him to poop in the potty, but lately he hasn't even been doing that. He cried for about an hour today for me to put a diaper on him (we have them because he still sleeps in them and takes naps in them) and once I finally broke down and put the diaper on him he pooped in it. I feel like he's reverting in so many ways lately. There isn't anything different in our lives so I really don't understand, but he's been acting more and more like a baby. 

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM

At his dads they don't make him wear underwear and he's allowed to use diapers all the time. They say he "isn't potty trained at my house!" He doesn't go over there very often. Maybe once a week at the most. I feel like they're hindering all the progress we're making here at home but I feel like I would be the worst if I didn't let him go over there. It's been about a week and I haven't heard from his dad though. I'm not calling to see if he wants him anymore, I'll just wait until he decides he wants him to come back over. 

And my son is SO emotional now. He was always a little more needy than other kids (I think because he's an only child?) but it's become so much worse lately. He whines and crawls around on the floor and cries over nothing. I don't think he's got anything wrong developmentally. He's really a smart kid, and acts normal otherwise. These phases he's going through are driving me nuts though lol 

Quoting Careeka22:

Aww that sucks. Maybe something going on at his dads? It could just be his age too. My friends son is 4 and also won't consistently go on the potty. He also asks for diapers to go in. He is just a very needy little boy unfortunately.  I also feel around 3 they just start changing a bit, my DD has recently become so emotional. Everything makes her cry and we can't figure out why. We ask her why she is crying and all she says is either, I don't know why I'm crying or that we hurt her feelings. It is a trying age that is for sure!

Just try to stay consistant that is all I can say and best of luck! Seems like we both need it lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Careeka22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)