Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you think she was a spoiled brat? doesn't talk to her parents cause of her SN brother

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 379 Replies
1 mom liked this
My SIL and brother just had their first baby. She hasn't spoken to her parents in years, but they heard about the baby and are dying to meet her. They've attempted contact with her for years, apologizing, begging and crying. She listens to none of it.

Why? Her brother is severely autistic, with other emotional disorders. She's 34, this was years ago before lots of good resources were available. He was a violent and would sometimes fly into rages where he'd hit her parents and her- sometimes avoidable, sometimes not, he'd end up hitting one of them once a week or so. She wasn't allowed to have friends over or really go to their houses because it upset his routine. Her parents also devoted the most time to him, obviously. She hasn't spoken to them since her early 20s.

What do you think? Maybe it's just cause I'm a mama to a SN kid, but part of me feels she's a spoiled brat for not forgiving them after all these years when they've outright said they really didn't know what to do...
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
young_lv_mom
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
19 moms liked this
Really it sounds like they treated her as if she was only their to help with the brother. They were more worried about his routine then her safety or happieness. While I get you think she is spoiled for not understand where they are so sing from, you are doing the same to her. Her feelings and views are just as real. And really it's her choice and life, with no say from you so except her as she is or have nothing to do with her, but calling her names does not make her look like she is the one in the wrong.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
21 moms liked this

Your thinking is why she doesn't want to speak to her parents.

The world doesn't revolve around your SN child. But let me guess, you think it is perfectly acceptable for him to ruin and disrupt things right? You can't be bothered with thinking about someone else right?

Quoting Anonymous 1: My SIL and brother just had their first baby. She hasn't spoken to her parents in years, but they heard about the baby and are dying to meet her. They've attempted contact with her for years, apologizing, begging and crying. She listens to none of it. Why? Her brother is severely autistic, with other emotional disorders. She's 34, this was years ago before lots of good resources were available. He was a violent and would sometimes fly into rages where he'd hit her parents and her- sometimes avoidable, sometimes not. She wasn't allowed to have friends over or really go to their houses because it upset his routine. Her parents also devoted the most time to him, obviously. She hasn't spoken to them since her early 20s. What do you think? Maybe it's just cause I'm a mama to a SN kid, but part of me feels she's a spoiled brat for not forgiving them after all these years when they've outright said they really didn't know what to do...

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM
18 moms liked this

I cant say I really blame her. I get that they had a hard time with a SN's son, but they neglected their DD and didn't care what she wanted or needed. She has a baby and all of a sudden NOW they care? I dont think so.

MeghanH123
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM
3 moms liked this
No
They were never there for her, why should she be there for them? She is their child to, and she has needs as well.
J.M.O.
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
4 moms liked this
I think because you're a mom to a sn kid you treat the same way you wouldn't see why she's upset with her parents. I don't blame her. If she wants to forgive them they are going to have to lay off. Also it's none of your business.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM
7 moms liked this
I think it's a terribly sad situation but I'm sure she has her reasons. It could be more than what you know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
She is a spoiled brat. Its cruel to continue to punish her parents. I hope karma visits her soon.
brysonsmommy_10
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it's her decision. Her parents neglected her needs and there are consequences for that.
poietes
by Laura on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM
26 moms liked this
What part of her life sounds like she was spoiled in any way at all? Sounds like she deserves to be spoiled a bit but never has.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't say I blame her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)