Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is extremely hyper...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

My son is extremely hyper from the moment he wakes up to the moment he goes to bed. 

He is unable to hold still, he jumps up and down when he is in a situation w-here he has to hold still *during circle time in class* *soccer class while the coach is giving direction* and other situation.  I dont know what to do.. I am at the point where its embarrassing the way he acts. He is 4 years old. I dont give him juice, soda, or candy.  I have tried cutting gluten out of his diet (not fulling but have cut it down a lot). 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM
My dd is the same way. We put her on adhd drugs and things are so much better.
MilkLover0203
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
After our doctor said my five year old has ADHD, we tried out medication, but he lost his personality, and didn't have an appetite. I hated it. I started doing my own research, and doing natural supplements, and I give him a little caffeine before school. I'm not judging you for your choice. I'm just telling you what we did.

Quoting Anonymous 2: My dd is the same way. We put her on adhd drugs and things are so much better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM

when did you take her in to get evaluated? Im not sure if i would want to put him on drugs though..

Quoting Anonymous 2: My dd is the same way. We put her on adhd drugs and things are so much better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM

im glad you said this because i dont think i would put my son on drugs. My niece has ADHD and she also said she doesnt feel like herself on it ;(. I did a little research and thats why i tried to cut out a lot of gluten.

Quoting MilkLover0203: After our doctor said my five year old has ADHD, we tried out medication, but he lost his personality, and didn't have an appetite. I hated it. I started doing my own research, and doing natural supplements, and I give him a little caffeine before school. I'm not judging you for your choice. I'm just telling you what we did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM
That's your choice. We took my dd in at 4. She's severely adhd and autistic. She can't function in school without meds. We didn't have a choice.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

when did you take her in to get evaluated? Im not sure if i would want to put him on drugs though..

MilkLover0203
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM
If they're necessary, and totally needed, I think they're a blessing. Some children don't respond well to natural supplements, and a little caffeine. Sometimes it IS needed, but in our case, I wanted to exhaust all options before going back on the medication route. So far, it has been working really well, he'll have no side effects, he isn't having trouble sleeping now, and he still has his weird little personality that cracks us up. It was just channeling his energy, and getting him to focus, so he could succeed in school. With too much stimulation, he was failing miserably. You're more than welcome to message me anytime you wanna talk. It feels like an uphill battle, I know. It's very helpful having support.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

im glad you said this because i dont think i would put my son on drugs. My niece has ADHD and she also said she doesnt feel like herself on it ;(. I did a little research and thats why i tried to cut out a lot of gluten.

Quoting MilkLover0203: After our doctor said my five year old has ADHD, we tried out medication, but he lost his personality, and didn't have an appetite. I hated it. I started doing my own research, and doing natural supplements, and I give him a little caffeine before school. I'm not judging you for your choice. I'm just telling you what we did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM
I'm glad that worked for you. Her meds don't change her personality. I will say that many drs over medicate kids. We had to switch drs because one just kept trying to up her dose, even though it was working fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I dont know. My 3 year old is this way. He has started hoping everywhere as well

Do you take your child out and let him run off some steam?  Hes only 4, being hyper is pretty normal for young kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Yes, he is in soccer and he has preschool four days a week. I take him out daily and he has a big back yard he plays in before dinner (rain or shine).

in this case its not normal. I am around other 4 year olds and i can see a big difference. He is unable to focus or pay attention to direction which cases him to not understand. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I dont know. My 3 year old is this way. He has started hoping everywhere as well

Do you take your child out and let him run off some steam?  Hes only 4, being hyper is pretty normal for young kids.

MilkLover0203
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM
It's really hard finding the right doctor these days.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm glad that worked for you. Her meds don't change her personality. I will say that many drs over medicate kids. We had to switch drs because one just kept trying to up her dose, even though it was working fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)