• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of the downsides of living in a small town...

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

Every year on Christmas Eve there are a number of parties in town hosted by families we know and it is the tradition to make a loop and go to all of them. We legally have a closed adoption of my youngest son, but we still choose to have some contact with his biological mother, she is a distant relative of my husbands and we don't mind giving her updates and having the occasional meet up. She really wanted to meet up around Christmas and give my son a gift, but the only time she can get away from her family without them being suspicious (they were against the adoption and don't know that we are the ones who adopted him) is on Christmas Eve. So we decided to miss one of the parties to meet with her at a cafe. Not a big deal. 

I ran into the hostess of the party we are missing a couple of days ago, she brought up the party and I told her that we are sorry, but unfortunately won't be able to make the party this year, something came up. I didn't go into details because its really not something she needs to know and not something we want broadcasted across the town (she gossips a lot). She seemed taken aback, but said okay, do what you need to do. Well I guess that now she feels snubbed and assumes we are going to some secret party instead of hers and she has been telling people that shes not going to send us a Christmas card this year (oh no, the horror). We never even told her we were going in the first place, its just what we do every year. So now I've got until Christmas to find some way to appease her so she doesn't take it out on my parents and extended family. I love my small town, but the drama is unreal. 

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM
First world problem.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Um, okay, its still a problem. I have lived in third world countries, I know what life threatening problems are, that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be frustrated about anything else that isn't life threatening.

Quoting Anonymous 1: First world problem.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Meh... either she'll get over it or she won't. You chose the right option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
It's a ridiculous problem and boring too.

Quoting lenashark:

Um, okay, its still a problem. I have lived in third world countries, I know what life threatening problems are, that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be frustrated about anything else that isn't life threatening.

Ecoseem
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Been there.  People, gah.

crumpy_gat
by No. on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM
You have? Where?

Quoting lenashark:

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM
Wow, people sure are planning parties in advance.
crumpy_gat
by No. on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Are you going to other parties that night? Can you split time between another one and hers, like half an hour at each vs an hour at the other?
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My dad works for a charity through our Church that provides medical attention to those in need, so we lived for a few months at a time in various cities and villages in Somalia, Cambodia, Peru, etc., while he was working. It was usually over summer break, but sometimes we stayed through a school term. 

Quoting crumpy_gat: You have? Where?
Quoting lenashark:

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Yes, but we can't split it, the time that we can meet up with my son's bio mom directly overlap with her party. 

Quoting crumpy_gat: Are you going to other parties that night? Can you split time between another one and hers, like half an hour at each vs an hour at the other?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)