• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I have the right to be upset?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Ok, so here's the story, I moved 3 hours away from my hometown. My parents, sister and grandma still live there. It's been almost 3 years and my mom still thinks I should be the one to have to travel there rather than her coming here to visit. She complains about not seeing my two kids all the time. She's been here a handful of times and I go there all the time but its getting old, it's a long drive with a 2 yr old!
She 'doesn't drive' which means she's lived on a small town her whole life and is terrified to drive on a highway. To me, that sounds ridiculous for a grown woman to say. She's scared of the world. And my dad has had a stroke and can't really drive anymore.
So basically my whole family is getting mad at me when I won't come down there often enough for them....
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM
It's up to you. I go to my parents or pay for them to come to me.

ETA: They live 9 hours away.
CBMMOM
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Why is it up to her?

Quoting SuckIt69: It's up to you. I go to my parents or pay for them to come to me.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I see both sides. However I think you are being a little insensitive to your mom over not driving. Some people get very anxious while driving. I would rather those people not be on the road with me. Your father obviously cant drive either. So that leaves you to go to them. I think its nice that they come to you some times, but for the most part I do think you should be the one to go to them. You are the one who moved away. If you want to see your family and your kids to see them, you should go to them since they obviously are not very capable of coming to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Once or twice a month?
Money isn't really the issue, I've given them gas money... It's just the driving

Quoting SuckIt69: It's up to you. I go to my parents or pay for them to come to me.

ETA: They live 9 hours away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Too bad for them.
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM
My MIL doesn't drive and lives an hour away. We always are the one to go see her, even though DD gets car sick. It got old. Especially since her whole family lives in the same town as us.
However, you said your entire family lives there. So it is easier for you to go than it is for all of them too.
Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM
That's how my parents are, and I've come to accept it. They see it as I'm the one who left, I should be the one to make the trip. They came to visit 4 times in 21 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:23 PM
It's up to her if she wants to go to them and how often.

Quoting CBMMOM:

Why is it up to her?

Scarlevimama
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Sucks for them. The highway goes both ways. If they aren't going to put forth the effort to maintain a relationship with their GC's, they can't get mad if you do the same.

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

She can't drive, so I don't understand why you expect her to visit you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)