Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Uncle Charlie"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I have 5 and 6 year daughters. My neighbors are about 10 or 15 years older than me and their children are grown. We are friendly. We have had dinner at each others homes, and feed each others animals while the other is away. I've told my children to call them Mrs Karen, and Mr Charlie. I also have a brother in law named Charlie. 

A few days ago Karen and Charlie asked if I would mind them taking my children to a local farm where their dog just gave birth to puppies. Sounded like my kids woul love it. I gave them my car to take, because the child seats don't fit in their car. When we were loading up my daughter told Mr Charlie that she has an uncle Charlie. 

They had a great time, and sent me lots of text message pictures but when they came back, my daughter told me that Mr Charlie told her she could call him "uncle Charlie" 

I'm sure these people are harmless, otherwise I would not have let them take my kids, but I feel like it sets a precedent. I really don't want my kids using the term, Aunt or Uncle for anyone other than family. I think it gives them a false sense of security with the person. I've told my daughters to continue calling him Mr Charlie, and then only Uncle Charlie is really "Uncle" but do you think I should say something to him as well?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM
If it comes up again, say something. But my kids have tons of unrelated aunts and uncles. Family is more than blood.
Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I have a big military family so "aunts" and "uncles" to my kids are of no blood relation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scarlevimama
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

The titles your kids have for people are 100% your decision if your kids are young. If you don't feel comfortable having your kids call him "Uncle Charlie", then what I would do is refer to him as "Mr. Charlie" in front of them. Set the precedent. One of my baby cousins started calling her grandma "Mom" because her mom was calling her "Mom". The second her mom started calling her "Grandma", the child started doing the same.

Granted, my kids have a few non-related aunts and uncles, but I am 100% ok with it and determined who is an aunt and an uncle from the get-go.

AilsaSeoid
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My best friend Douglas is "Unclear Douggles". Whatever. My kid will probably not know his real aunt and uncle and call them only by their names.
NipplePirate
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM
You're kids are pretty young and I bet they were doing it on accident and the guy probably just told them he didn't mind.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
Could Mr Charlie of misunderstood your dd when she was telling him about uncle charlie? Maybe he thought she was asking to call him that, and he was agreeing?

Maybe try asking your neighbors about it. If they really are harmless, it's probably a misunderstanding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I agree that family is more than blood, but these are just neighbors, not family in any way, blood or otherwise. 

Quoting B1Bomber: If it comes up again, say something. But my kids have tons of unrelated aunts and uncles. Family is more than blood.

Ecoseem
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

They may just feel differently about the use of the terms.  I grew up being told to call all of the older people that were in our lives "Aunt" and "Uncle", something about it being a sign of respect. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM
DS has an "uncle" that's of no blood relation. I don't really see the harm in it, but if you aren't comfortable, just say so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)