Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drive or Fly 12 Hour Trip

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM
  • 26 Replies

Just got a text informing me that my dd's twirl group will be doing to Myrtle Beach this summer for a competition. This is a 12 hour drive. I dont' own a mom van. I just have my little Kia Forte. I wouldn't mind driving if it was just me  and one child. But I'm pretty sure this is going to be a family trip. And I don't know if I can do 24 hours in my little car with my dh and dds.

I'm already fighting off an anxiety attack thinking my dh's passively agressively judging my driving or demanding to drive and going slow as a snail , and the girls arguing, and my 13 year old demanding to control the radio and then crying when I inform her that it's my car. But the absolute worst is my 7 year old's back seat driving. She  stares down the GPS and tells me when I need to turn or merge and when I miss a turn or if I"m going to fast. She is very judgmental. I don't care if she's only 7 the girl will tell me that I'm going to get us all lost and then we will be stuck in the wilderness with no food or water because I didn't listen to the lady on the GPS. And if I  hide the GPS from her she will constantly ask for updates.

We have gone to Niagara Falls and Chicago in the past two years and I barely made it.

Do you think I'm crazy for considering flying? Would you fly to avoid being in close quarters with your family. It's a $600 difference but I almost think it's worth it. Not sure dh would agree..

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM
You need to fly or control them kids better
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

12 hours is LONG time.  We drove from Atlanta to the Outer Banks, NC and that was a 10 hour drive that we broke down into 2 days.   it is just a long time to be in a car and we have a large SUV.    Plus, you have the drive back.  UGH!

If you decide to drive, I would find interesting places to stop along the way to help everyone's nerves.   If you can afford to fly and rent a car, I think I would it do.  

Sydel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

They aren't wild and fighting with each other.  And it's not just them. It's my dh too. He does not like heavy traffic. I'm fine with it. I prefer to drive he hates my driving. He will critique my every move.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You need to fly or control them kids better

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I wouldn't want to drive 12 hours with kids. I thought my kid was bad at car trips. He asks if we are there 5 minutes after leaving.

sjenkins8208
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM
I've been on ONE 13 hr road trip. Our son was 9 months and was awesome....however I will NEVER get in a vehicle for more than 6 hrs ever again! The thought of being in a vehicle for 13 hrs makes my ass and neck scream. I can not, WILL NOT, ever do it again. Dhs knows this and we would fly
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Id tell his ass the stfu and let me drive or he can do it himself.

Quoting Sydel:

They aren't wild and fighting with each other.  And it's not just them. It's my dh too. He does not like heavy traffic. I'm fine with it. I prefer to drive he hates my driving. He will critique my every move.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You need to fly or control them kids better

TaylorMom814
by Emily on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Does allegiant air fly out of an airport close to you? I would try to fly if you can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I'm terrified to fly so I always drive regardless of the distance. If your not I would consider it with everything you said or maybe you could rent a larger vehicle cheaper.

Sydel
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

We have the money to fly. But dh will fight it. I know he will. He will say we can drive. He does this thing with his foot. He will press an imaginary break if he thinks I"m going to fast or if he thinks I'm too close to another car. He hates it when I switch lanes. He clears his throat and it makes me want to flip out.

I learned how to drive in Florida on A1A and I90. I commuted for years. If I were alone it would be smooth sailing I'd get a book on tape and cruise.

Quoting KenneMaw:

12 hours is LONG time.  We drove from Atlanta to the Outer Banks, NC and that was a 10 hour drive that we broke down into 2 days.   it is just a long time to be in a car and we have a large SUV.    Plus, you have the drive back.  UGH!

If you decide to drive, I would find interesting places to stop along the way to help everyone's nerves.   If you can afford to fly and rent a car, I think I would it do.  

mlmynm81
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM

My family and I drive to Disneyland at least once a year and its a 7-8 hour drive each time. I suggest just leaving when they are ready to fall asleep at night that way they are asleep most of the trip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)