Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shopping with food stamps

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 63 Replies
To those who get food stamps....do you have discount stores like Aldis or Save A Lot to make your benifits last longer?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes! Winco and grocery outlet. If I shopped at a regular store it wouldn't get me through the month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope all I have is Kroger and H.E.B. I was lucky to get 2 deer opening day and a very large hog so all I'll need for a few months is sides.

Quoting cjs702006: To those who get food stamps....do you have discount stores like Aldis or Save A Lot to make your benifits last longer?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Yup and I shop the 10 for $10 deals at Kroger if it's things we use. Of course we only get $231 a month so I still have to use cash at the end of the month. We just budget for everything and stick to it tightly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not have one. I coupon and shop sales to help them stretch. We usually end up having to spend some cash on food. Which is perfectly fine, it's there to help not provide food for the whole month. I am incredibly grateful to have them. No one wants to fall on hard times, but it does happen. 

cjs702006
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Oh I wish we had the money to buy meat that way! We used to have Kroger's here but they all closed except for a few that are South of us by a few hours. H.E.B. I remember from when my dh and I lived in TX....he worked there as a stock person.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Nope all I have is Kroger and H.E.B. I was lucky to get 2 deer opening day and a very large hog so all I'll need for a few months is sides.

Quoting cjs702006: To those who get food stamps....do you have discount stores like Aldis or Save A Lot to make your benifits last longer?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:34 PM
No. We don't have those here.
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM

we go to Walmart, Winco and Costco 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I don't use Save-A-Lot because the quality of the food is terrible (for the most part). The food always makes me feel terrible and icky. I usually go to Food Lion on good deal days and buy bulk from Sam's Club. 

cjs702006
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I know what you mean about Save A Lots food. I go there every once in awhile if they have a too good to pass up deal on something. Wish we has a Costco here. I would shop there a lot!!

Quoting Anonymous 6:

I don't use Save-A-Lot because the quality of the food is terrible (for the most part). The food always makes me feel terrible and icky. I usually go to Food Lion on good deal days and buy bulk from Sam's Club. 

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM
I go to Walmart and get value brands, hit up sales, and buy biger packages(they're usually cheaper per amount of food). I also try to keep dried beans, rice, and pasta in the house. I get food I have to cook instead of microwaveable stuff because it's easier to make it go farther.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)