Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*my take*: let's start a real war on Christmas!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
  • 83 Replies
7 moms liked this
The leaves have barely fallen from the tree branches. The first snowflake has barely touchedthe ground (or hasn't been seen in some places). Yet all around we know that it's that time of year yet again. Radio stations designated for Christmas carols have again started with the tunes of jingle bell rock and white Christmas.
The festivitues of Halloween have just passed only a few days ago but we started seeing Christmas decorations out alongside the vampires and ghosts.
It seems the capitalists can't wait to drive the consumerism into every home before we can even count what we are thankful for.

Year after year we hear about the war on Christmas. Coined by conservatives and Christians to define public protest against nativity scenes on public property where no other religion symbol of the season is displayed. It is a term to speak out against the use of the term "happy holidays" or abbreviating Christmas with Xmas.

It seems to me that Christmas has brought the war to us instead of the other way around. It has confiscated 2 months where other holidays reside. It has forced its way into being the only holiday celebrated during December (because Kwanza, Hanukah, and Yule either don't exist or are simply overlooked since they haven't been mainstreamed).
Christmas was once a great holiday to celebrate. But soon consumerism took hold and has turned this family tradition into a financial nightmare.
So where is the real war? If anything Christmas needs to be put back into its place. In the month of December where it should share its space with the other holidays which inhabit the month.
So where is the real war on Christmas? Is it a war to fight political correctness and religious inclusiveness or is it in what Christmas has become; a corporate thug who is out to shove much of the holiday down your throat to the point that you vomit red and green snowflakes that smell of egg nog and mint while at the same time draining your wallet?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Jolly bump.
Hubris_Huntsman
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I love Christmas! But I can wait until the day after Thanksgiving for all its glory.
BluesPagan2.0
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Right. Take the holidays one at a time.

Quoting Hubris_Huntsman: I love Christmas! But I can wait until the day after Thanksgiving for all its glory.
texasgirl77
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM
We don't start celebrating Christmas til the weekend after thanksgiving, but I do start our crafts early (this week) so we can put them all out after Thanksgiving. However, I was highly disappointed when our hobby lobby started putting out Christmas stuff in JULY this year! I like to enjoy each holiday as it comes, but it also doesn't bother me to walk into a store in late October and see Christmas stuff out. I just pass it by til I'm ready.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Yayyy Christmas! My decorating has begun and I have a tree up. We've usually had snow for almost 2 months now. November never feels like fall. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Strange, I haven't heard any Christmas music except for on my iPod. The only channel I've seen Christmas stuff on is hallmark and they've been playing it off and on all year.

LovesBooks07
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Christmas has become so big that even mother nature had to join in, it snowed on Halloween.

LOL.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Amen. I'm sick of it being pushed on us earlier and earlier every year. I haven't been to Hobby Lobby since the day in flipping JUNE that I walked in and saw Christmas stuff EVERYWHERE. I love Christmas but the specialness of the season is ruined by having it shoved down our throats six months out of the year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM
What's a blue pagan? If its related to a blue waffle nvm
lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I think we're opting out on buying stuff until Christmas is over. My son's school is big on Kwanzaa so we'll celebrate that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)