• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I write a note??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies
DS is in first grade, he's reading books above grade level. Every week they get a math, spelling and reading homework "contract" that has their assignments for each night. His reading is always the same assignment, Monday night tell if it's fiction or nonfiction and how you know. Tuesday draw the setting/scene from a book. Wednesday draw a picture of your favorite part and be ready to tell the teacher/reading group about it and Thursday write a new word and tell what it means or use it in a sentence.
This week he came home with a chapter book, not a big deal really, she said he reads chapter books in school all the time when he finishes his work because he finishes so quickly. Well it seemed rather big with smaller print (not too small but bigger than I expected for that thick of a book for him) so I looked up the reading level on it and read what it was about.

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/everything-waffle#cart/cleanup
(Eta the book is called everything on a waffle. Its 5.9 reading level with themes of: Adoption and Foster Care
Parents
Pride and Self-Esteem)

Now reading wise, as far as being able to read the book out loud to us, he's doing pretty good there's some words he's getting tripped up on and that but that's expected. Now my issue is the content... He doesn't seem to be understanding really what's going on, he's only about 8 pages into the book right now. I haven't read the book yet but I feel like the content may be too mature and if he isn't grasping what's going on... It doesn't really make sense to have him be reading it? He's struggling with Monday and Tuesday nights homework for this book, he says its nonfiction and when we ask why he has answers that really.. Don't have anything to do with what the books about (craziest answers was: because waffles are real. Lol, he was starting to get a little goofy so we stopped working on it for a bit.
Wondering if I should just send in a note explaining to his teacher? If so what should I say? Just that he's struggling with the actual content of the book? I've never had this issue before :/ I don't want to come off the wrong way or anything.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:10 PM
B
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm a first grade teacher and I would absolutely want you to write a note. I didn't look at the description of the book, but you know your child best. Just because a child can fluently read a book does not mean he is able to comprehend what he is reading. They are separate skills. As a teacher, a note like that would be very valuable to me. It's important that she knows he's struggling a bit. I'm sure she can find another book more appropriate for him. It sounds like he's a good reader though! That's great news :-)
mrsmoonbeam
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM
If he is not geting the book then yes write or call the teacher.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I had the same issue with Dd. I did not care that she didn't understand the content yet, the reading was just to introduce her to harder words, compound sentences etc. just let him keep going, who cares at this point.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Should I just tell her that i think the actual reading level is good but don't think he's understanding the book?
Its her first year teaching so I know she's still trying to figure out how to handle this but I definitely appreciate her efforts to have him reading harder books :)
The "themes" for the book are Adoption and Foster Care
Parents
Pride and Self-Esteem
My understanding is everyone's convinced the girls parents died but the girl isn't and she goes to live with a relative.. Or something along those lines lol.
I let him skip Mondays homework for it :/ he did do Tuesday assignments though even though no school. Not sure if that was the right choice but had to make a judgement call :/

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm a first grade teacher and I would absolutely want you to write a note. I didn't look at the description of the book, but you know your child best. Just because a child can fluently read a book does not mean he is able to comprehend what he is reading. They are separate skills. As a teacher, a note like that would be very valuable to me. It's important that she knows he's struggling a bit. I'm sure she can find another book more appropriate for him. It sounds like he's a good reader though! That's great news :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:34 PM
If he isn't understanding it than how is he to do assignments on it? :/ And I don't want to take the joy out of reading by making him read something he's not understanding.. I know I loose interest in something I can't understand lol.

And who cares?? I do. And what do you mean "at this point"?? He's only 8 pages into the book lol

Quoting MrsDavidB25: I had the same issue with Dd. I did not care that she didn't understand the content yet, the reading was just to introduce her to harder words, compound sentences etc. just let him keep going, who cares at this point.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM
I think I'm just going to pop a quick note into his folder to let her know why he didnt finish his work so it won't be held against him and she can hopefully find a more appropriate book for his group (that doesnt involve death, wills, etc)

Quoting mrsmoonbeam: If he is not geting the book then yes write or call the teacher.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM
I would just explain what you said here. He is able to read the boom, but you're concerned he isn't understanding.

I would think she would be very understanding about him missing the assignment. He missed because the work is a bit too difficult for him, not because he didn't want to do the work. I think it's great that she's trying to challenge him! I also think it's important to let her know if the challenge is a bit too great. From what you said about the book the themes sound a bit mature for all first graders. Maybe she didn't get the chance to read the book before assigning it to him. I have many wonderful chapter books for my first graders. Im lucky enough to have a third grade son who read them all in first grade himself so I was able to preview all of them.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Should I just tell her that i think the actual reading level is good but don't think he's understanding the book?
Its her first year teaching so I know she's still trying to figure out how to handle this but I definitely appreciate her efforts to have him reading harder books :)
The "themes" for the book are Adoption and Foster Care
Parents
Pride and Self-Esteem
My understanding is everyone's convinced the girls parents died but the girl isn't and she goes to live with a relative.. Or something along those lines lol.
I let him skip Mondays homework for it :/ he did do Tuesday assignments though even though no school. Not sure if that was the right choice but had to make a judgement call :/

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm a first grade teacher and I would absolutely want you to write a note. I didn't look at the description of the book, but you know your child best. Just because a child can fluently read a book does not mean he is able to comprehend what he is reading. They are separate skills. As a teacher, a note like that would be very valuable to me. It's important that she knows he's struggling a bit. I'm sure she can find another book more appropriate for him. It sounds like he's a good reader though! That's great news :-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

so she's challenging him instead of letting him have it easy, and you want to complain.lol

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Oh. I must have missed the part where he has to do assignments from the book. I just assumed it was extra reading because he is ahead. Sorry.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If he isn't understanding it than how is he to do assignments on it? :/ And I don't want to take the joy out of reading by making him read something he's not understanding.. I know I loose interest in something I can't understand lol. And who cares?? I do. And what do you mean "at this point"?? He's only 8 pages into the book lol
Quoting MrsDavidB25: I had the same issue with Dd. I did not care that she didn't understand the content yet, the reading was just to introduce her to harder words, compound sentences etc. just let him keep going, who cares at this point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)