• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

90 year old and 2 ministers arrested for feeding homeless

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (CNN/WPLG)- A 90-year-old man, and two ministers were arrested for feeding the homeless.

Every week 90-year-old Arnold Abbott prepares hundreds of meals for the homeless at a kitchen inside of a church, CNN affiliate WPLG reports.

Abbott is facing up to two months in prison for violating a city ordinance that virtually outlaws groups from sharing food with the hungry.

"One of police officers came over and said 'drop that plate right now,' as if I was carrying a weapon," said Abbott.

Fort Lauderdale mayor Jack Seiler warned arrests were coming, but Abbott said he is planning on taking legal action.

"I'm going to have to go to court again to sue the city of Fort Lauderdale, the beautiful city," Abbott said. "These are the poorest of the poor. They have nothing. Don't have a roof over their head, and how could you turn them away?"

In 1999, Abbott successfully sued the city for banning him from feeding the homeless on the beach.

Abbott said he will continue to feed the homeless, and while he does not want to be arrested, he is prepared for the possibility.

heres a link theres a video

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Alex-9, Madison-7, Holly-3, Serenity 5.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Poor guy. What a strange world we live in where you can be arrested for simply trying to help.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

WTF. Why were they arrested? Is it illegal to share a meal with your fellow man?

krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM
What kind of a rediculous law is that?!
and I agree with the first response as well, what the hell?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Didn't know being kind to people and giving the less fortunate food was illegal.

mrsmoonbeam
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Pathetic. What do the lawmakers want to STARVE the homeless to death? I guess they think out of sight out of mind.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Sometimes the law is an ass.
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Apparently.
Damn our town would fill the jails around thanksgiving!

Quoting thenameshailie:

WTF. Why were they arrested? Is it illegal to share a meal with your fellow man?

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM
That is insane
mistressflora
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM

it is in cali, and a few other states it called "the food sharing" law! and they wonder why our prisons are over crowded

Quoting thenameshailie:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Alex-9, Madison-7, Holly-3, Serenity 5.

BEXi
by BEXi on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I shared this on my FB a while ago.. how infuriating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)