Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Loss of child at 24 weeks

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
Do you have to do a funeral??

My sister lost her first pregnancy at 24 weeks today, will they make them do a funeral?

I'm so sad for her I can't stop crying I can't imagine how she feels. I don't know how to tell my son. He's 9 yrs old I know he will be upset too.

Anyone who has lost a child please give your input. Thanks.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mak33012
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I don't think anyone can make her have a funeral. My cousin's child was born full term and passed his later. They chose not to have a funeral and no one said anything about it to them. Everyone handles grief differently. I'm sorry for the loss.
vanillalattemom
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it will be up to them to decide if they want one or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Who would make anyone have a funeral for anyone? No one can make anyone have a funeral. It will be up to the parents of the baby.
Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

They will not make her do a funeral, but if they choose not to bury or cremate the baby, depending on your state, the baby may be buried in a mass grave for homeless, unidentified/ baby grave.

I am so sorry for your families loss. I lost my son at 40 weeks 1 day. Its extremely hard.

lizzie_ann
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM

No one is ever "made" to have a funeral. It's always a choice that the bereaved make. 

We had a funeral for our daughter who died at 4.5 months. 

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM
We did. Her plot was donated. We picked a simple casket.
Our child was born at 24w 5d. She lived 8 amazing days.
Sissy-Smurf
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I am so sorry. :( Bless your sister's heart.

My sister had a miscarriage when I was younger. I can't remember feeling any way about it because I was so young. Her son was a toddler at the time and our brother's wife was pregnant around the same time my sister was. When our (now ex) sister in law had our niece, my sister and her son went up to see the new baby and my sister said my nephew started crying, insisting that was their baby. He thought that was the baby his mom was supposed to have. Breaks my heart - eighteen years later. Ugghh.. So horrible..

I was afraid to tell my son I was pregnant. I waited til I was three months. I know that's not as far along as your sister was. I am so sorry this had to happen to her.

No, they won't make her have a funeral if she doesnt want to. I think the option would be open to her if she so chose to tho'.
Praying for her healing. :( 

andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Bump :( sorry for your sister and family
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM
At 24 weeks they have to bury/cremate the remains...they can't just dispose on them. But, no, they won't make her do a funeral.
Danyellimom
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM
When my son was stillborn at 25 weeks, we did a small graveside service
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)