Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor found a fibroid....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this
For the past 2 months I have had my period twice each month which is highly unusual for me. I just had my period Oct 20th-26th, then I had cramping and spotting on the 31st. They did an internal US today and the tech said my endometrial thickness was a 10 which is the thickness right before the lining sheds, so basically it looks like I'm about to get my period again already. I also have mild cramping for quite a few days in between my periods. They found a fibroid on the US as well. Dr. wants to do an endometrial biopsy because of my irregular bleeding but he said there is no rush to have it done so it is scheduled in 2 weeks.
Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of thing? Is an endometrial biopsy very painful? What are the treatment options for fibroids?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM
I have a fibroid the size of a tennis ball. My bleeding isn't as bad as yours though. At worst I had 10 day periods, sometimes a few days of spotting after.

My doc had me wait 3 months and had me do a repeat ultrasound (which I actually had today!). My fibroid has decreased by 1 cm, and now has fluid. Apparently that means it lost its blood supply and is degenerating. So yay!

I didn't have to do the biopsy, so I can't help you there. I hope everything turns out well for you!
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I had on when i was pregnant wth my youbgest. It got much bifger during and after and then was gone about 6 months after. Why do they want to do a biospy?

From the mayo clinic.
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus that often appear during childbearing years. Also called leiomyomas (lie-o-my-O-muhs) or myomas, uterine fibroids aren't associated with an increased risk of uterine cancer and almost never develop into cancer.

Uterine fibroids develop from the smooth muscular tissue of the uterus (myometrium). A single cell divides repeatedly, eventually creating a firm, rubbery mass distinct from nearby tissue. The growth patterns of uterine fibroids vary — they may grow slowly or rapidly, or they may remain the same size. Some fibroids go through growth spurts, and some may shrink on their own. Many fibroids that have been present during pregnancy shrink or disappear after pregnancy, as the uterus goes back to a normal size.

Fibroids range in size from seedlings, undetectable by the human eye, to bulky masses that can distort and enlarge the uterus. They can be single or multiple, in extreme cases expanding the uterus so much that it reaches the rib cage.

As many as 3 out of 4 women have uterine fibroids sometime during their lives, but most are unaware of them because they often cause no symptoms. Your doctor may discover fibroids incidentally during a pelvic exam or prenatal ultrasound
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM
I saw this definition before but thank you

Quoting Hanab818: I had on when i was pregnant wth my youbgest. It got much bifger during and after and then was gone about 6 months after. Why do they want to do a biospy?

From the mayo clinic.
Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus that often appear during childbearing years. Also called leiomyomas (lie-o-my-O-muhs) or myomas, uterine fibroids aren't associated with an increased risk of uterine cancer and almost never develop into cancer.

Uterine fibroids develop from the smooth muscular tissue of the uterus (myometrium). A single cell divides repeatedly, eventually creating a firm, rubbery mass distinct from nearby tissue. The growth patterns of uterine fibroids vary — they may grow slowly or rapidly, or they may remain the same size. Some fibroids go through growth spurts, and some may shrink on their own. Many fibroids that have been present during pregnancy shrink or disappear after pregnancy, as the uterus goes back to a normal size.

Fibroids range in size from seedlings, undetectable by the human eye, to bulky masses that can distort and enlarge the uterus. They can be single or multiple, in extreme cases expanding the uterus so much that it reaches the rib cage.

As many as 3 out of 4 women have uterine fibroids sometime during their lives, but most are unaware of them because they often cause no symptoms. Your doctor may discover fibroids incidentally during a pelvic exam or prenatal ultrasound
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have a fibroid the size of a tennis ball. My bleeding isn't as bad as yours though. At worst I had 10 day periods, sometimes a few days of spotting after.

My doc had me wait 3 months and had me do a repeat ultrasound (which I actually had today!). My fibroid has decreased by 1 cm, and now has fluid. Apparently that means it lost its blood supply and is degenerating. So yay!

I didn't have to do the biopsy, so I can't help you there. I hope everything turns out well for you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM
The biopsy hurts... I will warn you now. I had to have one done. There's no anesthesia but it is quick at least.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM
How bad does it hurt and how quick is it???

Quoting Anonymous 3: The biopsy hurts... I will warn you now. I had to have one done. There's no anesthesia but it is quick at least.
goldpandora
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I truly suffered with my fibroids - bleeding 3 weeks out of 4, soaking a pad AND a tampon in under an hour (meetings at work were truly awful), passing clots the size of an egg and pain so bad it took my breath away (and there were times I couldn't stand up...). My gyn started me on a hormonal treatment  that was supposed to shrink them back temporarily. Well, it wasn't pleasant (mood swings from hell) but all the rest stopped!  7 years later I had an unplanned pregnancy and now, nearly 20 years later I've never been bothered with them since.

I had a couple of US to evaluate their size and their progress but never had a biopsy done (mainly because it's exceptionally rare for them to be cancerous). At least your doctor isn't pushing you to go straight to a hysterectomy ...

Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM
I had four huge fibroids removed via myomectomy back in 2002. They were so big they ripped a hole in my uterus and had grown into my bladder. I'd always had heavy periods but for me I just thought that was my normal. My doc noticed how large my uterus was (larger than a 20 week pregnancy) and from there I did the ultrasounds and scheduled surgery. Fibroids are nothing to be concerned about. I didn't have children yet or I would've had a hysterectomy though, since once you have fibroids, they always come back. They had to reconstruct my uterus and bladder and my fibroids weighed 4 lbs (they're published somewhere). When I has my first baby in 2005 they noticed I have 2 moderately large fibroids and they hadn't grown much when I had my 2nd baby in 2008. I've been having extremely heavy periods that last year though, with painful cramps and large clots. I'll probably have a hysterectomy soon.

Eta- I wanted to mention that I had no idea there was anything wrong back then. I weighed 110 lbs and didn't have a protruding abdomen, even though my uterus was huge. Never had a biopsy though I'm sure they were tested after they were removed. I don't recall then even mentioning the need for a biopsy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I had a whole belly full of fibroids; the largest one was 13 centimeters on its longest axis.   I think I had over 10 or 11 lbs of fibroids.

At least 20 yrs ago when I had my hysterectomy, there were a few different treatments, but generally, details of your condition mean that only one choice is really appropriate.  So they're not really 'alternatives', it's more like, 'if yours is like this, you need to do this' or 'if yours is like that, you need to do that'.  

For example in my case trying to shrink the tumors with lupron was out of the question because there were so many, they were hemorrhaging, I was, well, actually going to die fairly soon so waiting for a medication to shrink them was not an option, the medication, lupron, would make them bleed MORE, they were in transition to unpleasant cell forms, and were so huge(so no matter how much they shrank it wouldn't be enough, and the medication can't shrink them much anyway), and they were wrapped around various organs.  

So like, options?   Do nothing and croak, or surgery.  Hm...let me see, croak, or surgery....I think....surgery!  My ovaries were fine  so they were allowed to stay, and because of that, the hysterectomy was a total non-event.   I had a hell of a recovery because they had to cut so much to get the tumors out, but within 4 1/2 weeks I was back in athletics full speed.

Ladies who have gotten the endometrial biopsy told me that it was not at all painful.  They seemed to come through it very well, didn't even bat an eyelash.  

dsebastian23
by on Nov. 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I had a hysterectomy in sept because of heavy periods which isn't normal for me...he also found a fibroid during surgery sent it off and it ended up being uterine endometriosis..hope they can figure something out for you..I dealt with it for 3 years..before I said enough is enough..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)