Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Done being taken advantage of...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I am normally a very helpful, giviing person to the point that people end up usually taking advantage of my kidness.  I have  helped people out by walking their kids to school for them, picking them up, taking them on playdates or  to eat etc.  If I can do it,  I don't mind helping out and think it is fun for my daughters too.  Lately though, I have been doing it ALL the time (not just once in a while) for other people and I think I need to just start saying no more often.

So today, the mother of a girl in my daughter's class whom  I have only spoken to once, pulled me over outside the school.  She straight out asked if I could watch her daughter from 4pm to 9 pm every Thursday.  I was taken aback because I barely know her or the daughter.  She said it would be ongoing as she worked evey Thursday.  I didn't give her an answer right away but told her I would let her know. 

My first inclination was to say yes but I don't think I would be comfortable doing this on an ongoing basis.  Once or twice yes, but not ongoing.  Help me out ladies, how can I let her down easy.  Saying no is really hard for me and I already feel bad.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I'd say no. You are not a certified day care facility and can be held liable for anything that happens to the kid.
SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Tell her sure, fee is fifty bucks.

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
Are you her teacher? And I would say no especially if you know you can't do it. Also is she gonna pay you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

no, no mention of pay so I assume I have to feed her dinner snack etc

Quoting sunsetchick34: Are you her teacher? And I would say no especially if you know you can't do it. Also is she gonna pay you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:10 PM

good point!

Quoting ArmyWife112908: I'd say no. You are not a certified day care facility and can be held liable for anything that happens to the kid.

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Ooh then that's a definite NO then, lol. The nerve of some women!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

no, no mention of pay so I assume I have to feed her dinner snack etc

Quoting sunsetchick34: Are you her teacher? And I would say no especially if you know you can't do it. Also is she gonna pay you?

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
If it were me & I didn't mind, I would probably say I could do it for a week or two so that she has time to find someone permanent. I would never commit to doing it permanently.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)