Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shut your face, immigrant!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
  • 53 Replies
3 moms liked this

I am not from the U.S, but I have lived here for 4 years. I pay property tax and I paid income tax when I worked (for 2 years). I have my own medical insurance and I pay for my own schooling. I brought over a large sum of my own money and used it to purchase a house here. I contribute to the economy here and have taken exactly $0 from the government.(Before someone starts, I am not saying that people who use gov't assistance are bad, I'm just pointing out that I am contributing to, rather than draining resources from, my new country.)

I accept that I cannot vote, I knew that was the case before I arrived.  What I do not accept are the women on here telling me I have no right to voice an opinion on government policies because I am not a citizen.

A citizen is a title given, not earned, by most. I contribute to the success of this country (allbeit very minorly). I don't understand how people can tell me my lack of U.S citizenship somehow eradicates my right to free speech. As a member of my community, I deserve the right to speak freely as much as any citizen. I believe your Constitution agrees with me.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CameraMum
by Anne on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Here,here!

Immigrant here as well. Work my butt off, pay a butt load in taxes, pay attention to local, state and federal politics but can't vote either. I still voice my opinions and views.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Not trying to be mean but maybe it's your attitude that causes people to say those things. I'm not a citizen either and have said that many times in here and never been told my opinion doesn't matter.

blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My sil is an immigrant as well. She voices her opinion on politics all the time. She lives here so she has a right to even if she can't vote.
the_dude
by abides on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
*abides*
.Milfshake.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not from this country, either. don't let them get you down, you know some of these women are horrid.

lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Maybe. It does piss me off.  I wouldn't deny someone the right to speak their mind in my home country so I expect the same I guess.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Not trying to be mean but maybe it's your attitude that causes people to say those things. I'm not a citizen either and have said that many times in here and never been told my opinion doesn't matter.

SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Opine on!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
In all honesty, if you cant vote your opinion doesnt really matter all that much. Theres nothing you can really do beyond voicing your opinions and even that doesnt do much.
bluefirewolf
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Lots of people in other countries criticize the u.s. everyone is entitled to bitch about anything and they do lol
ArmyWife112908
by Mrs.Crane on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)