Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O... Teachers notifying about bad grades

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm a teacher. About 1/2 way through the quarter we all send progress reports to communicate with parents about how kids are doing before the big report card comes out at the end of the quarter.

In another post some people said they would be kind of frustrated with a teacher (middle school) giving written notification of bad grades to the student to give to the parents. They said the teacher should email, call, give the notification to the parents in person, etc. some said the written notification plus an email is warranted.

When did all of this become expected? Not too long ago the progress report was all that was needed to communicate the bad grades.

How much communication do you expect? At what age do you think a progress report is enough? Do you think one, or more, method of communication isn't appropriate?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfette1903
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Apparently nightly phone calls/email, along with taking out a full page ad in the local newspaper.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM
6 moms liked this

This became warranted when the moms started having nothing going on in their lives other then bothering teachers and telling them how to do their jobs. Today's mom had a kid, that makes her know all and in control of everyone that may come in contact with the kid.

Our school has everything online, it's up to the parent to make sure they check the parent portal.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My ds is in third grade, all of his assignments and tests are in an online system I monitor every few days

I understand and respect that I have one kid, his teacher has 25

lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I think teachers have a heavy enough workload and if parents are that concerned, they need to keep on top of it themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Email or phone call would be enough for me .
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I get enough emails from the school. The progress report is all I expect. But I'm also not a helicopter parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Would a written notification be enough?

Quoting Anonymous 3: Email or phone call would be enough for me .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM
6 moms liked this
I teach hs. Another math teacher had a parent who wanted a daily email about how her child did in class, what the hw was, etc. The teacher told her that when the mother sent her a daily email about how he did each night at home, she'd be happy to respond how he did in class. But the hw was supposed to be in his agenda.

I thought I was going to die trying to keep in my laughter from the look on that mothers face!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM
We get notes in DS's agenda everyday, lol. It's a bit... much.

I should specify, the notes are good too. We just get a few sentences everyday.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I totally agree with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)