• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about metal detectors? Come in!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My son is 8. Obsessed with treasure hunting. He has been asking for a metal detector all year and I think I will get him one for Christmas. But it needs to be light enough for him to carry, water resistant in case he takes it to the creek or river or beach and accidently gets it wet, and he needs to be able to kinda understand it.

But most importantly it needs to work and actually tell him when he's over metal.

So any suggestions?

Need to keep it around 100-150 if possible.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I bought my nephew one of the bounty hunter Jr ones. I think it was like $60. He has had a blast with it. He is 7.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Why doesn't he just do geocaching?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM
I saw that one on amazon! Does it work well? Easy for him to read whats going on? Light weight? Water proof?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I bought my nephew one of the bounty hunter Jr ones. I think it was like $60. He has had a blast with it. He is 7.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I don't even know what that is...

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why doesn't he just do geocaching?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:59 PM
It works pretty well. It doesn't detect stuff super deep like a professional adult version would. Probably a couple feet deep. It is light weight. He can maneuver and read it very well. I will have to ask my sister if it is waterproof.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I saw that one on amazon! Does it work well? Easy for him to read whats going on? Light weight? Water proof?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I bought my nephew one of the bounty hunter Jr ones. I think it was like $60. He has had a blast with it. He is 7.
redo
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM
www.geocaching.com

It is a perpetual worldwide treasure hunt/scavenger hunt.

And also a lot of fun for kids, as kids are who the game is primarily geared towards. Most caches, except the more extreme ones, have to be safe for children.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't even know what that is...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Thanks. I'll definitely look into it.

Quoting redo: www.geocaching.com

It is a perpetual worldwide treasure hunt/scavenger hunt.

And also a lot of fun for kids, as kids are who the game is primarily geared towards. Most caches, except the more extreme ones, have to be safe for children.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't even know what that is...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I read the amazon review and it doesn't say if its waterproof.
I did find a green one on amazon that says it can find coins 5 inches bigger objects 2 feet and 24 inches submerged

Quoting Anonymous 2: It works pretty well. It doesn't detect stuff super deep like a professional adult version would. Probably a couple feet deep. It is light weight. He can maneuver and read it very well. I will have to ask my sister if it is waterproof.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I saw that one on amazon! Does it work well? Easy for him to read whats going on? Light weight? Water proof?

redo
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM
When you go the metal detector route, don't forget to also get him a pen pointer.

It does the exact same thing as the metal detector itself, except it is smaller and handheld. So when he digs his hole to get the "treasure", he can hold that pen pointer thing down in there and see exactly where it is, it really narrows it down, so he won't be digging forever and he won't have to make such a big hole.

It takes a lot of work and frustration out of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I bought his at Walmart. Maybe you could go check it out in person before you buy one.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I read the amazon review and it doesn't say if its waterproof.
I did find a green one on amazon that says it can find coins 5 inches bigger objects 2 feet and 24 inches submerged

Quoting Anonymous 2: It works pretty well. It doesn't detect stuff super deep like a professional adult version would. Probably a couple feet deep. It is light weight. He can maneuver and read it very well. I will have to ask my sister if it is waterproof.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)