Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We make dd come home from college every weekend

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
She goes to college an hour away and has shown that she can't handle it. Her grades have been horrible and after looking at her Instagram, it seems she made time for partying all weekend but no time for studying.

We pay for her schooling and I'm not paying thousands of dollars for her to get drunk and fail classes. I know how college is, everyone parties. I did too but I got my shit done.

So every Friday morning we drive up and bring her home for the weekend(she doesn't have class on Friday).

Her grades have DEFINITELY gone up BUT she is hating us a lot right now. Oh well! We will give her another shot next semester and hopefully we won't have to go back to doing this.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Fair enough! If she can't handle the responsibility, she's lucky to have parents who will handle it for her. She'll see that one day. Not for a while! But she will one day...!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Oh hun I feel for you. My DD 20 is 2 hrs away and her grades are slipping anatomy and French she's in a sorority also. She's a sophomore tho. Her dad and I pay over 25k annually. Glad u for a grip now she get the message. I'm sure your proud of her still:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Why pay for her classes? People that pay for college themselves are better able to understand the value of it and get better grades because they don't want to pay more than necessary by having to retake classes and extra semesters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I don't blame you whatsoever! I have a cousin who flunked out of college his first year! He was too busy drinking and smoking pot to bother doing his assignments, and he rarely ever went to class! He was paying for college with money from his dad's life insurance policy. He went thru 100,000.00 in less than 2 years!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM
If you treat an adult like a child, they will act like one. Try handling it like a grown up. Treat her like a grown up too.
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Well, if that's what it takes... Another option would be to tell her to find a job asap because you're not paying for her college anymore due to the horrible grades. Let's see how much time she has to party when she has to work full-time and keep her grades up.
JanineDeer
by Janine on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM

If she is not paying for her schooling, you have EVERY right to lay down the law!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Well we have always saved up and planned to pay for our children's education. I started out with a lot of debt because my parents didnt contribute to my education and I didn't want that for my kids. If this continues on in the next semester then we will not be paying for another year.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why pay for her classes? People that pay for college themselves are better able to understand the value of it and get better grades because they don't want to pay more than necessary by having to retake classes and extra semesters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM

That's not true.

My parents paid my college in full and I worked after I graduated and paid for my grad school and got half scholarship, I have worked in my field, took a vey hard federal exam and passed it in the first attempt (passing rate is 10%) and now I have a successful business.

My sister is a dentist and my parents also paid for her college and dentist school and has a successful practice.

Some people handle responsibility better, some are more mature than others at the same age.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

And they call me controlling ... I'm totally hands off compared to you. I wouldn't be surprised if she drops out and never speaks to you again. 

I understand the WHY you are doing it ... your money, your rules ... but remember she IS an adult and you have to cut those apron strings some time. You cannot control her life forever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)