Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What causes cold sores?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

DS#1: Mom, what causes cold sores?

Me: The herpes virus.

DS#1: What's herpes?

DS#2: Oh, I have herpes on my toe!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM
I would have just said a virus. Then I would have said its a very contagious virus and once you have it once you can continue getting it. And that's why we don't share things like drinks, or ChapStick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM
I think I would tell my six year old the truth, then elaborate with what you said.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would have just said a virus. Then I would have said its a very contagious virus and once you have it once you can continue getting it. And that's why we don't share things like drinks, or ChapStick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:32 PM
That is the truth.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think I would tell my six year old the truth, then elaborate with what you said.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would have just said a virus. Then I would have said its a very contagious virus and once you have it once you can continue getting it. And that's why we don't share things like drinks, or ChapStick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM
FACT: You can't get herpes from sharing a drink or using chapstick. That is a myth. You get it from contact with a lesion(herpes blister, cold sore)

Quoting Anonymous 2: That is the truth.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I think I would tell my six year old the truth, then elaborate with what you said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM
There is conflicting information on this. Many people believe transmission is possible through shared objects. I'd rather not take the chance.

Quoting Anonymous 4: FACT: You can't get herpes from sharing a drink or using chapstick. That is a myth. You get it from contact with a lesion(herpes blister, cold sore)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
The virus immediately dies when coming in contact with a non-living object. The virus can only survive on living tissue. My mother has had cold sores my whole life. When I was a child, she was unaware they were caused by the herpes simplex virus. When I wasa kid I shared food, drinks and chapstick with her and never ever have I ever gotten a cold sore. I have been tested over the years for herpes and other things at routine OB visits and while pregnant and I do not have the virus. That being said, my mother, unaware at the time, kissed my son when she had a cold sore. My sone now gets them every few months on so. There is herpes type 1 and type 2. Neither one is pleasant,but type 2 is the one you don't want. Type 1 is the most common and isn't a big deal.

Quoting Anonymous 2: There is conflicting information on this. Many people believe transmission is possible through shared objects. I'd rather not take the chance.

Quoting Anonymous 4: FACT: You can't get herpes from sharing a drink or using chapstick. That is a myth. You get it from contact with a lesion(herpes blister, cold sore)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Fact: Some people can not get a cold sore. DH and my oldest DD do. My youngest DD and I do not...no matter what we share with DH or the other daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 2: There is conflicting information on this. Many people believe transmission is possible through shared objects. I'd rather not take the chance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM
This is true. Some people don't catch it. Or the virus is constantly dormant and doest react.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Fact: Some people can not get a cold sore. DH and my oldest DD do. My youngest DD and I do not...no matter what we share with DH or the other daughter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Your first sentence is false. The rest may be true, but doesn't prove anything.

Quoting Anonymous 4: The virus immediately dies when coming in contact with a non-living object. The virus can only survive on living tissue. My mother has had cold sores my whole life. When I was a child, she was unaware they were caused by the herpes simplex virus. When I wasa kid I shared food, drinks and chapstick with her and never ever have I ever gotten a cold sore. I have been tested over the years for herpes and other things at routine OB visits and while pregnant and I do not have the virus. That being said, my mother, unaware at the time, kissed my son when she had a cold sore. My sone now gets them every few months on so. There is herpes type 1 and type 2. Neither one is pleasant,but type 2 is the one you don't want. Type 1 is the most common and isn't a big deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)