Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about socializing an adult german shepherd dog

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM
  • 19 Replies
Sadie is 2 years old and we had her from a puppy.
We have her around dogs and kids and adults often. Still do actually.
She loves us.

With stranger kids, or my kids friends, she barks a few times in an unaggressive way, Runs up and sniffs and licks until I .tell her to "get" * licking is a no-no* and then plays near by the kids.

With other dogs (friends or strangers) she is very eager to play... sometimes roughly, but she always takes a submissive role even with my sils little 5lb dog.

With adults she always snarls and snaps and barks and has a damn heart attack......even with my dad who stops by 5 times a week...... Even with my brother who she sees 3 times a month. He is a dog person and all, but she HATES him. He can't even look at her while he is here because she will growl. She hates his presence. .... even with a lady friend who comes once a week every week her whole life.

The freak out is over within 2 minutes and she happily accepts everyone's presence. These people are dog people and just ignore her til she is happy again

What she knows......
Sit.
Stay.
Fetch.
Search.(she finds antlers or lost balls or ground moles or lost items in the grass) she associates that word with "find something I will be interested in."
Kennel.

She allows everyone to fool with her food dish. She gets tons of exercise. She never runs away. She happily stays in her kennel all night even if I forget to latch it. She only chews approved items. She doesn't go in carpeted areas or on the furniture ( it took me all of 5minutes to teach her that when we got her.)

She also loves our cat and when other cats come around she is easily called away from them. My cat is really the dominant force in their duo.

Anyway.... example of the problem.
We had Xmas with 20 guests.... she had a damn heart attack every time someone got here. She looks and acts viscious for a few minutes every time someone comes through the door. It terrifies all the guests.

One damn person she decided to like outside of our family and it was a stranger to her, a dog person who fell to the floor like she was his long lost love and she ran to him like he was the meaning to life. ....wtf.

Its really a problem how she is with adults. i dont know what to do.
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My dog is same way.
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

My dog is same way.
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
There's a few reasons it could be. Shepherds are extremely protective and she protecting her pack. Which is your family
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:47 AM
My do I is cage brave
meaning he hates you until you open the door then OMG FRIENDS FRIENDSHIP AND LOVE AND RAINBOWS ABD FOOD...

-.- then trying to get himAWAY from them is the problem
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:47 AM
The reason she's not aggressive towards kids and other animal's is cuz she isn't threatened and protective if them too its her job if that makes any sense. They are working dogs bred to herd that's the purpose.
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Awww mine is very social except with any other animal

Quoting Anonymous 1: My do I is cage brave
meaning he hates you until you open the door then OMG FRIENDS FRIENDSHIP AND LOVE AND RAINBOWS ABD FOOD...

andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Some people speak dog language like the friend she loved on. They have a natural way to not threaten her
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:52 AM
He loves everyone and tries to be buddies with all living things....

Reason his name is buddy lol

Quoting andi_pandi: Awww mine is very social except with any other animal

heathercm26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:53 AM
She is the best dog I have ever had. She is careful not to bump kids over. She can be immediately called away from mischief. She has never been chained. She never run away. We live in the country and she stays close to the house poops in the neighbors field. She leash walks well. But I rarely lease her on walks because she likes to explore and immediately returns when called.

She is the best dog I ever had. And the easiest. She walks herself. I have no poop to clean. She respects the home. Totally house trained. She sits on a chair on the porch watching the world go by. Never scratches the door. She looks to me for permission before doing things like jumping in the car and I never met a dog careful enough nor to bump a toddler EVER.

I tried taking her to the dog park twice. At 6 months old but the people ere not impressed. they thought she was going to eat them. .
andi_pandi
by Andrea on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Cute. They the best breed around for loyalty so much personality

Quoting Anonymous 1: He loves everyone and tries to be buddies with all living things....

Reason his name is buddy lol

Quoting andi_pandi: Awww mine is very social except with any other animal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)