Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Even if you live together for years, once you get married, things are "different"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies
This is what I've heard many times so I'm asking you ladies what you think.
My boyfriend and I have been living together for 3 years. We have no kids together, just kids from a previous relationship. Our relationship is drama free, never had any breakups or even spoke about ever doing that.

Thursday night he started talking about getting married and how he is 32 and doesn't want to call me his girlfriend anymore. I feel the same way.
But then I started hearing women talk about how marriage changes things... That things are different. How are things different?
What is your opinion?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JayTee80
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
We lived together for a year and a half before we married.I don't think it changed anything.
bcoll
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Honestly, I remember thinking it wasn't very different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM
So far so good lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Nothing changes except you'll have a sense of pride knowing you're a wife now and not just a girlfriend. Kwim.
PoisonEyeV
When hell freezes over on the 24th, I'll be hanging out in: http://momtikihut.onsocialengine.com/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/Cafemomconfessions/
Yesterday at 6:33 PM
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I'd be curious to know as well. We've been living together for 6 years and although I don't like the title of being his " girlfriend " and vise versa, we're in no rush to get married.  I just wish there was a more adult label instead of gf/bf.  And introducing each other as, spouse, significant other or partner just sounds weird.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
After marriage I felt trapped. But I love the warden so its OK.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Getting married didn't change anything. Time changes things. We lived together almost two years before marrying. 6 years later we are great.
Hoppers33
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I lived with dh for almost 5 years before we got married. Nothing changed...at all. Sex didn't change, we didn't start fighting more, I didn't feel any more committed...We got back from our honeymoon and life continued on as it always had. Obviously some things have changed over the years, but they would have changed whether we were married or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
I think in most situations things are different once they get married only because they also move in together at the same time. Living together does change things and believe it or not you do get to know the person way better. If you already live together i dont see how it would change anything. Bump for you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Yeah, that makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Nothing changes except you'll have a sense of pride knowing you're a wife now and not just a girlfriend. Kwim.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)