Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you be close friends with someone who has completely different beliefs and morals than you?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM
  • 27 Replies

Just curious, I have a close friend, she's pro-choice all the way and I'm pro-life in most circumstances.  She posted some articles on FB about abortion and pro-choice so we got into a debate about it.  I thought it was an interesting, healthy debate but it didn't end that way.  Just wondering if you could be friends with someone who thinks and believes completely different from you.  Could you discuss it without losing yourself or getting angry?

by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but only if both sides are willing to agree to disagree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I dnt debate my friends beliefs. I accept them for whatthey are.

I dont think i know anyone with a different morality base than myself.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I enjoy a lively debate. I don't get bent out of shape over disagreements.
nickysmom71
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Yea And I am close friends with a few pro lifers we just agree to disagree.
Manic_Sinner
by 5/27/2018🤰🏽 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, I have atheist, pro choice, lots of differences. I can be friends with anyone as long as they don't push their opinions on me. We agree to disagree and it works.
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Absolutely. I have many friends that do not share my faith, but most share my morals such as they are generally good people. Abortion, we do not all agree.

Yes, with some I can have great discussions because we remain respectful and level headed...but some I can not because they become offensive. It just depends on which one.
eadyT
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Yes and I have friends who believe differently. We respect the others opinions. We can debate an issue without it getting heated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I choose friends based on personality. I have friends who are pro-choice, pro-life, Christian, Athiest, gay, etc. They are amazing friends. Their personal beliefs have no effect on our friendship, nor do I choose to have a "healthy" debate with them about their beliefs and/or opinions.

redo
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM
That's pretty much what it depends on. How they handle the differences. If they can either keep their mouths shut or talk about it reasonably, then that's fine. I have no issues with other people's stances on anything as long as they don't get aggressive about it or try to drag me along for their "good time". If they can keep their mouth shut, so can I. If they can speak about their convictions without trying to " turn" me, I can do the same.

It all depends on them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM

My DH and I have different religions, different beliefs, and diferent morals. We're open about discussing things and accept each other for our differences. We have a very healthy marriage, and it's very very rare for a discussion to end badly for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)